Something nice

Great story, and good way to upgrade someone.
Especially when it's with a quality name they're familiar with, one that's still making a good knife and is not just a name as so many tool and knife manufacturers have become.

Awesome story. I to am a giver of blades. Regardless if they want them or not. LOL I have a very close friend who is more like a second father to me. He has never carried a knife all the years I’ve known him. A few years ago I hired him on to work as shipping and receiving at the company I work at. I gifted him a new blue Alox farmer when he started, that was a little over 3 years ago. He has since accumulated a small collection from me. A couple moderns, a pearl queen peanut. He now carries a modern spyderco folder and a GEC 66 stockman ebony everyday in his pocket.

My actual father has been gifted multiple Case trappers from me. He has lost quite a few to security guards/ metal detectors. :eek:

My brother in laws Sunday knife is a case chestnut peanut cv I gifted him last year for the heck of it.

I think when you enjoy the history of knives and the community, its hard not to try and spread the hobby.

Thats good reading - and I know what you mean- It's not about bragging rights- it makes one feel so good about seeing the joy of the face of the recipient- I have given a lot of knives away - especially here in NZ - and as 99.5% of the people here do not carry a pocket knife- when I do this here- its like I have given them a Car!
Its a massive feeling, and sometimes when I look back at my youth and feel a bit guilty at time of being a loud mouth trying to be big - when I got big - I felt the strongest feelings by actually helping people- especially elderly, and I am sure I don't do these things HALF as much as others -but man it feels so good. Great reading and a nice move you did there.

Giving away knives is fun. I think the gift of giving a real world useful object is more fulfilling than a new tie or a gift card for a free meal.

I used to give out Victorinox classics to non knife people I knew. One year I made it a point to get a bunch of classics as sticking stuffers for the non knife members of the family who were always asking "Hey Carl, lend me your knife for a minute."

About half of the recipients got used to carrying them on a keyring, and used the heck out of them. A few that lost them to TSA, went out and on their own got new ones. I guess thats a victory of sorts for our side?

Good post, TAK!:thumbsup:

I often meet with a friend for lunch on the weekend, to eat and relax and sharpen knives. We make sure to tip well. (something to bear in mind: calculate your tip not only as a percentage of the bill, but take into account how long you took up the table) In addition to the tip, either he or I will sometimes add an inexpensive little knife. A Rough Rider or Vic Classic, or Case mini-blackhorn, etc. Our favorite waitress now has a nice little collection, and likes to coordinate them with her outfits. When we sit down, we ask what she's carrying that day. If she has one he gave her, he'll laugh and say "I win!" :D

To add to the story: He found a Rough Rider canoe in bright pink bone with rhinestones on the bolsters. We both thought it was the funniest thing. I took it and scrimmed her name on the pile side. We gave it to her and I think she was honestly touched. You have to enjoy the silly little things in life, and giving away knives and toys helps.

To add to the story: He found a Rough Rider canoe in bright pink bone with rhinestones on the bolsters. We both thought it was the funniest thing. I took it and scrimmed her name on the pile side. We gave it to her and I think she was honestly touched. You have to enjoy the silly little things in life, and giving away knives and toys helps.
You are absolutely right

Back