Sometimes a khnife's not ekhnuf....

Fear in the situation gunhou described seems a sane response to me. I'd grab a fairly heavy rifle or 12 ga. with saboted slugs in his shoes, myself.

That is called prudence in my book. In fact, if his wife or others were in the house I'd have contempt for any man who did not take preparatory steps to protect those he loves.

As he said, once armed he let things take their course and it subsequently ended without further incident.

What about windchimes or the like? It seems worth a shot ( and yes, pun was intended ).:p :D

I agree with that. If things really get out of hand I can always shoot those !!/*& wind chimes.

munk

Originally posted by munk
I bet you could take a room full of 45/70 lovers and Khukuri lovers and find they'd be the same bunch with a proper introduction to the tool they didn't yet know. The Khukuri may be the 45/70 of knives.

Nice analogy Munk. :)

Try a 332 grain RCBS hard cast .458 with gas check over 30 grains of SR 4759. My guide gun throws 'em like Joe Montana throws footballs.

Then field dress with a 15" Sirupati. :D :D

( Windchimes )

Munk, you are a man after my own heart!

Originally posted by gunhou
I'm amazed at a couple of the responses to my mostly light-hearted post. Astonished too at how people who don't know me, my culture or background are so ready to question my courage, ethics and responsibility; and lecture me on my obligations as a moral being.
To those who believe unsolicited judgements of my actions or comments are at all called for or welcome, be informed that they are not. To you I say, walk a mile in my shoes...I have an old pair I don't need any more...then you'll be a mile away, and that will be fine with me.
As for those, especially you Mainers and fellow .45-70 shooters, who understood my post and situation, thanks for the replies.
'Nuff said.
Ken

I believe it must have been my post that caused your greatest amazement. So if you don’t mind I would like a fair chance to explain myself.

First of all I must say that I misunderstood your intentions with the bear, and I am sorry about it. I had no idea that your intentions were mostly light-hearted since some of your statements seemed otherwise. If I now understand you correctly then your intention all the way was to solve the bear problem in a correct manner despite the fact that some of your statements directly contradicted that. I see now that you do not intend to shoot the bear without trying other proper approaches first. I understand you in that way now because that is the only logical outcome from your saying that you have an ethical integrity. Once again, I am deeply sorry about the misunderstanding.

About your courage, I did not question it. As you can see I only spoke of fear and not of courage. Fear is a normal response for us all when confronted with events that we are not in control of. To mention normal instinctive reactions is certainly not the same as questioning somebody’s spiritual ability of courage. I was merely trying to unravel what exists in us all.

What I wrote was never meant to be anything but a friendly and open talk about ethics and practical solutions and certainly not to "step on" somebody. Since my post was interpreted otherwise then I am sorry for not expressing myself clearly enough on that matter. Obviesly it was my fault that this problem arose. But I also might add that instead of telling me to walk a mile away from you then you could easily have explained me my misunderstandings. Sorry but I had no idea that you would take my accidental miscomprehension of your ethics so deeply personal that you would unconditionally outrule all further talk. This was completely unexpected by me.

Again my sincere apologies, and good luck with that bear.

Eikerværing

I am impressed by your apology and willingness to understand gunhou.

I am amazed and excited about being a member of this forum where people from all over the world, all walks of life, very different backgrounds, back woodsmen, college professors, attorneys --- people with widely varying temperaments can come together as one great family, a family that does disagree and has no problem stating these disagreements, but does ultimately care for one another.

And has the good grace to admit when a misunderstanding happens. My hat is off to Eikerværing and many others on this forum for having the grace to admit that.

Once in a while a troll apears, but they don't last long. They seem to leave voluntarily. There is something about the atmosphere of this forum that they can't handle.

I prefer to think that maybe the trolls hang around and learn, to keep quiet until they learn how to act in our home.

And I think that we do not equate grace with weakness. We are pretty damned vocal in speaking our minds, and I like that too.

Good morning from Georgia in the USA
Bill Marsh

Bear threads always get a lot of action. Since I don't live in bear country I don't have a programmed response to bear intrusion -- but if I did live in bear country I know that my antique .38 would have a companion -- probably a 12 guage with appropriate loads.

A curious bear paying a friendly visit is one thing, a marauding bear hell bent on destruction of crops, property, farm animals and perhaps me is quite another.

Warning: the possession of wind chimes may lead to a more critical health concern; crystals. There is some evidence persons with wind chimes deteriorate further until quartz and other crystals are seen hanging around the house. A delusion sets in that these crystals 'heal", and a real health issue may remain untreated. If you or anyone you know has wind chimes be cautious.

This has been a public service announcment.

munk

"Occasionally a bear would approach of course. The little children used to swing a rattle in the air so it produced a loud noice and the bear would simply walk away from the sound. They knew it meant humans, and humans meant trouble."--Eikervaering
Bears also have no love of road flares. That bright portable light seems to bug them.

Interesting tidbit, Eikervaering. Thanks!

Keith

They knew it meant humans, and humans meant trouble."--Eikervaering

Let's hope they always know it. In California there are many people who wish the Cougar knew it. Hunting is a precious and neccesary part of wildlife conservation.

munk

Originally posted by Bill Marsh
Eikerværing

I am impressed by your apology and willingness to understand gunhou.

And has the good grace to admit when a misunderstanding happens. My hat is off to Eikerværing and many others on this forum for having the grace to admit that.

Once in a while a troll apears, but they don't last long. They seem to leave voluntarily. There is something about the atmosphere of this forum that they can't handle.

I prefer to think that maybe the trolls hang around and learn, to keep quiet until they learn how to act in our home.

And I think that we do not equate grace with weakness. We are pretty damned vocal in speaking our minds, and I like that too.

Good morning from Georgia in the USA
Bill Marsh

I truly appreciate your words Bill Marsh. The interesting thing now is that my apology was made on an assumption that gunhou does not intend to solve the bear problem by killing. This interpretation could be wrong. It still remains to see his confirmation or devalidation of my interpretation.

One more interesting aspect. Not me nor anybody who did not like the idea of killing a bear just for showing his face did anything but showing some attitudes about an environmental issue. We did not at all show any dislike of gunhoe. But gunhoe told all of us to take a one mile long hike because he prefered to have us far away from him. No matter how much he thought our attitudes were wrong there must be better alternatives than telling people to go away? This surely deserves some words from him. So I look forward to hear from gunhoe again.

Grace can be the same as weakness in cases where you use grace instead of standing your ground as you should. But in this case I tried to solve some problems. And by showing willingness to think and talk in any way about matters then I hope that gunhou will too.

Just a comment to your trolls. Trolls come from Norway you know. They can't stand the sun and turn into mountain when the sun shines on them. Our mountains are made from their bodies. In our fairytales they are stupid so it is easy to fool them to expose themselves to sunshine. I guess it is pretty much the same prosess in any forum.

Greetings

..an interesting tidbit re: cougars, and all cats, especially bigger ones:

Cats are programmed to chase, and will chase just about anything that moves away from them. They sense motion, key on the moving target, and before they even know it, they're in pursuit. Cats prefer to jump on the back of prey, and bear it to the ground with a gripping bite on the neck designed to suffocate or pinch the carotid, causing unconsciouness and death.
So, don't jog in areas where they are, and do not run from any big cat -- just back slowly away.

Eikervaering - You were being baited. Note how a number of us skirted the issue (ignored the issue, focused on another part of the thread).
Also, Dwarves (svartalfar=dark elves) in the sagas could be turned to stone the same way as trolls.

Keith

Baited? What is it to be baited? Just to be ignored or is it something more devious? Being baited sounds very bad. Like an earth worm on a fishing hook...

I noticed that most people in this thread didn't care about the issues that I was into. My recent posting was just for the sake of dealing with the earlier post of gunhou.

Svartalver? Where do they live? In the Icelandic volcanic rock? Dwarfs are something else than Svartalver.

Hunting is a precious and neccesary part of wildlife conservation.

Amen to that. Hunting and respect for all living things are absolutely not mutually exclusive. In fact I think they are very closely interrelated.

Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum. :D

They knew it meant humans, and humans meant trouble."--Eikervaering

Let's hope they always know it. In California there are many people who wish the Cougar knew it. Hunting is a precious and neccesary part of wildlife conservation.

munk

I am a biology student and I went to a lecture that explained why Norwegian bears are so shy and why American grizzlies are aggressive. In Norway and Sweden traditionally speaking you had people living in small settlements spread out all over the countries. Still it is like that, we only have one real city so far in Norway. So the bears and wolves have always lived in great areas of forest with people living here and there in their territories. In other words the ENTIRE bear population had always had contact with humans and thereby they had to adapt to them. Aggressive animals simply had more frequent contact with humans and that led them to get killed. All the animals with a genotype that makes them aggressive have been extinguished over the generations. While those who where shy with people tended to live longer and thereby produce more offpring in their lifetime. So today our wolves and bears have a genetical instinct in them that makes them prefer to avoid human areas. I heard in the same lecture that in USA there are great areas with wildlife but no people in it. So the animals of those areas are unfamiliar with humans, and they show no adaption towards human beings. In USA being aggressive, like the grizzly, is still an ESS (evolutionary stable strategy) for the animals since there are no people around to kill them when are being aggressive. (An ESS is what produces the most surviving offspring).

By the way, predators in Norway and Sweden are dangerous too, attacks have happend, but they prefer to walk another way when they discover humans.

Other adaptions shown by our bear is a twice as high reproduction rate as the grizzly. This could also possibly be an adaption to high hunting pressures. The same goes for our moose.

What bear is as aggresive as the Coastal Brown or Mountain Griz? I understood the Russians had a cousin of the bear, and the Polar is rare but mean...

munk

Back