Sort of off topic: Pizza cutters? Or more precisely, how to store them?

N8N

Good evening all,

After a long hiatus from this board I posted on Friday about kitchen knives and have been considering my next purchases and also have been sort of inventorying "essential" kitchen stuff that I'm either missing or is embarrassingly low quality stuff that barely was decent 20 years ago when a lot of this stuff was packed away (long story.)

So, I'm considering pizza cutters. I have no doubt that I could pick out a decent one; it appears that there are acceptable cutters available from several names that I recognize as being quality restaurant supply manufacturers, and these tend to have replaceable cutting wheels. So far so good. BUT. What I'm having a hard time finding is a cover for said wheel so I can toss the guy in a drawer. Or how do you store your pizza cutters to keep the wheels from getting nicked up? Please don't say put it on your magnetic strip; I don't have one and am renting for probably at least another year yet so don't have a way to mount one.

Thanks for any ideas!

I think the issue is you are looking at restaurant quality cutters that were never meant to be stored in a drawer. I recall seeing pizza cutters that came with covers but have no idea what brand they were.

Regarding no room for magnetic strips on the wall ...

I was tired cleaning our kitchen knife block, they actually get quite dirty in the slits ... The better half bought a bamboo/magnet stand that you can stick kitchen knives against from both sides, and it stands like a knife block on the counter. You'll be able to attach your pizza cutter too ...

Sometimes I abuse it for knife photos :) ... you get the idea.

i-CXKGwMJ-X3.jpg

It looks like the best options will be a ready made cutter with built in cover. Google Quick Split - portable pizza cutter

They sell magnetic knife blocks - the blades are on the outside. Or you can make your own.
Zyless (sp) sells a pizza wheel - a pizza cutter without the long handle - that has a cover.
I have an Oxo - I keep it in a little used drawer underneath some heavy dish towels.

re: the magnetic knife blocks, I just ordered one before I made that post, I couldn't find any reviews as to whether you could stick knives to the "backside" of it or not though. We will see.

FWIW, we bought the Pampered Chef and are happy with its bigger size, easy to clean, and has a sturdy plastic cover.

Back