SOT (somewhat off-topic): fitting a horn handle on a Sgean Dubh

My brother bought a Sgian Dubh knife sans handle (I have no idea how that's pronounced really - it's Scottish Gaelic 'sheen do' or something - means 'black knife'):

indianrideg.JPG
indianrideg2.JPG

Blade says 'Indian Ridge Sheffield England' on it.

The tang is very short, so it doesn't look like it will support a full-tang. We were thinking of using a (rough) horn handle - any advice on this? Drill & epoxy - is that the way?

Thanks, B.

Partial tang maybe??

If you want to do what some do to Villagers, depending on how soft the tang is. If it is soft drill a hole, tiny hole, in the tang and then put a pin through it and the horn handle along with the epoxy to keep it in place.

I think as long as you arnt wacking it against any trees and only using it for slicing and stabbing the pin in the tang is not needed.

Also, last time I checked the handle on those scottish knives were real short to allow many different grasps. Yet again, another subject that is sorta over my head :confused:

Originally posted by SamuraiDave
Partial tang maybe??

If you want to do what some do to Villagers, depending on how soft the tang is. If it is soft drill a hole, tiny hole, in the tang and then put a pin through it and the horn handle along with the epoxy to keep it in place.

I think as long as you arnt wacking it against any trees and only using it for slicing and stabbing the pin in the tang is not needed.

Also, last time I checked the handle on those scottish knives were real short to allow many different grasps. Yet again, another subject that is sorta over my head :confused:

Thanks Dave - yes I was thinking partial-tang, but not quite sure what the best way of doing that was.

It's pretty small, so I don't think it's going to be used for khukuree-style chopping, &c.

On the handle length - there's the practical matter that my brother is about 6'5" :eek: with huge hands, so the handle needs to be a reasonable size.

cheers again, B.

Most sgian dubh's have quite small handles. I believe sgian dubhs were meant to be carried in the sock or tied around the underside of arm for concealment. I have also read that they were used for everyday tasks much like pocket knives today. Just some interesting facts :)

Ryan

I didnt see the measurements...1 1/2" is not much to work with...I say epoxy the sucker for a 5-10 year fix, pin it for 50-75. Depending on use.

Or...go get a extension welded onto it, make it a full tang, and beat the ship out of it. ;)

I don't think the handle will be a problem with that small blade. It'll be hard to get much stress to it.

This isn't quite answering the question, but I hope it helps a little in decideing what should be done.
Dave is spot on with a pin through the tang and that's probably what I would do along with the epoxy.

A short search on Google for Sgian Dubh turned these up. Several nice "Skean Doos" as well as a few Dirks.
One Dirk in particular appeals to me quite a lot as it states it is unlike so many in that it has an edge and is a "real Knife."
And it's only US$118.00.:D

The least the sites will provide is an idea of how the little knives are supposed to look.
Some of the old Highlanders were also quite large people I've been told and the little knife would appear much smaller in their hands.
I've never done just a search on the Sgian Dubh before. There are some quite beautiful little knives shown here.
Some quite beautiful little prices as well.:D

http://www.scottishstore.com/sgiandubh.htm

http://www.nicholsonssupplies.com/sgian.html

http://www.scottish-imports.com/weapons.htm

http://www.duncan-house.com/knives/sgiandubh/

Check out the Wilkinson Swords versions at their US importer's web sight:

http://www.esa-swords.com/Highland_Range.htm

But I'd order two and trash one first before I risked anything important on Wilkinson's stuff nowadays. Most of their Sgian Dubhs have composite handles, and I don't think you can even order an F-S Commando Dagger sharpened now.

While nowadays thought of as a stocking knife, and with the handle or sheath designs used to distinguish clan affiliations, they were originally truly fighting knives, and worn hidden around the chest/neck area IIRC so to be reached with either hand.

Remember that front to back the average man is on the order of 9" thick in the chest area. Then remember that a knife can penetrate 1 1/2 times it's blade length with a powerful stab ( i.e. a 4" blade can leave a 6" deep hole. No one wants to be shot even with a "mousegun" 22 or 25, or likewise be cut with a sgian dubh.

I saw one of these little knives on a site recently. Can't recall where, sorry. It was something like 80 years old and had a handle carved with a celtic knot pattern. The sheath had a seam down the center like the khuk sheaths.

The interesting part is that the handle was carved only on one side, and the seam of the sheath was on the same side of the handle carving. This was for comfort when worn as a stocking knife. The side against the wearer was made as smooth as possible.

Back