Source for 420-V

Rob Simonich

Big Bear
Help! Does anyone out there in knifeland know where I can get my hands on some 420-V? Ill bet Darrell knows......Thanks

------------------

Hey Rob,

Hope you find some! Let me know when you do.

Crucible Steel has 420V. I forgot their URL but they have a website if you do a bit of searching.

Zapp in Dortmund have some 4mm plate in stock in Germany. It costs about DM125 a kilo.

Kevin,
Rob called Crucible and they couldn't help which I find odd as they produce the stuff. Seems there is Crucible itself just outside of Syracuse, N.Y. and a whole bunch of Crucible "centers". I figure Rob may have contacted one of the centers instead of going direct. I'll see if I can find the right numbers and post them here. Trouble with a small volume maker going direct is the minimum order quantity may be staggering...dunno.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Rob,
Try:
Crucible Service Center,
Crucible Specialty Metals
5639 West Genesee Street
Camillus, NY 13110 (suburb of Syracuse)
800-365-1185
315-487-0800
cpmsales@crucibleservice.com
techservices@crucibleservice.com

specs at http://www.crucibleservice.com/cpm420v.htm

Hope this helps!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Thanks Bob, I will try that number tomorrow. I did find and buy some CRU-WEAR, I have been wanting to try that stuff also, It is supposed to be a great edgeholder and with good toughness to boot...Anyone have any experiance with CRU-WEAR? You can see the specs for it in Crucibles site.

When you call crusible some branches dont know what sizes they carry . Just ask for the main branch number they will help you out..

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

The telefon number for Zapp in Dortmund , Germany is located on the Steel page of my website:

http://www.wilkins-knives.com

(I can't find it right now in this chaos on my desk)

I just bought a piece of 4 mm plate 210 mm x 300 mm and it cost about $200. That's about the size of a sheet of letter paper. I'll get about 10 small knives out of it.

But thay say it's worth tha price...

Edited double post... sorry

[This message has been edited by Kevin Wilkins (edited 24 November 1998).]

Rob: Would you please let me know the stock sizes available on the Cru-Wear and a phone # to order some?? I would be most greatful. I tried to buy some of this stuff from Crucible some time ago-they said all they had was 1/2" thick plate!! Hope you found some thinner. This steel looks Excellent with a capital E on paper!!!!

Thanks again, RJMartin
email:rjmartin@javanet.com

Hi RJ, Texas Knifemakers Supply has the CRU-Wear, their phone number is 713-461-8632. Their Fax is 713-461-8221. Yes this stuff looks very good on paper, not quite stainless but very good edgeholding and toughness. And the best part is its cheap compared to other high alloys.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Back