South African One Piece?

Does anyone have any info on the South African obe-pieces?
Are they collectable, are they worth more than current models?
Is quality and materials the same?
I have a chance to get a couple of them at what I feel is a good price and I am just hunting for some info.
Was the 7 inch one piece called the Project, even back then
Oh yeah, how are the South African ones marked...just so I make sure I am getting what I think I am.
Thanks

Here the picture of mine

CRKSA199.jpg

1. They are collectible to some people
wink.gif

2. Quality and material are the same as current models. The end screw is hexagonal.
3. The 7" model is called Mark V
4. The markings are as shown. The sheath is also stamped "Made in South Africa" on the back.

Met a guy at the Puyallup show who had a South African Shadow I. Very sweet blade. He told me he got it off a guy who used it in Saudi. It is his EDC and he uses it hard. I would say get them and use them well.

Elvis,

You can still get those caps from CRK I believe. If not check with the dealers, that is where I got mine.

Roy

[This message has been edited by Roy (edited 06-27-2001).]

I had an older South African Reeve made Jereboam Mark IV (model same as Ralf has shown but with saw teeth on top) which I
traded to Mr Reeve for a Sebenza about 4 years ago. Mine was not marked in any way with the Country of Origin other than his logo and a serial number. So it may or may not have "Made in South Africa" stamped on it. Also, I am fairly certain that he was making some of them out of D2 back then as I am fairly sure mine was.

------------------
Alex Penton

[This message has been edited by alex (edited 06-28-2001).]

There are quite a lot of questions asked here about our SA made fixed blades and I will try to summarize the answers:

1. SA made knives can fetch quite a bit more than the current retail prices. Several models have been discontinued so there is additional collectibility there.
2. We used D2 for a short while but by 1986, all the knives were made of A2. Every once in a while, we couldn't get A2 and a small, intermediate run would be made with D2 - yeah, I know it's confusing!
3. Any knife made prior to about April 1987 would not have been market with Made in South Africa. There after, they have all been marked either Made in SA or Made in USA. All SA knives were serial numbered.
4. Quick run-down of the models that we made in SA but then discontinued. As you know we have started making some of the 9 inch models again but do not plan to make any of th e7 inch:
Jereboam Mk I - 9 inch clip point, sawback
Jereboam Mk II - 9 inch clip point, no sawback
Mk IV - 7 inch clip point, sawback
Mk V - 7 inch clip point, no sawback
Shadow I - 9 inch spearpoint
Shadow II - 7 inch spearpoint
Pachmayr Field Survivor - what is now known as the Project I
5. The same attention went into the quality of the knives back then as happens today. We did the very best we could with what we had. Probably the weakest part of the package was the sheath - we have made great strides there (not to underplay the wonderful work that John Leth, our SA Sheathmaker did on our behalf!) The majority of the Kalgarding was really excellent - I know, I did it myself!! :)

Hope this information helps!
Anne

This may help illustrate Anne's comments-
(not great photo's but the best I could manage)

Here's my MKIV with the old sheath and hex cap:
fe5c0804.jpg.orig.jpg

Here's the same knife with a round cap and new sheath
fe5c07ec.jpg.orig.jpg

Mark

Back