Recommendation? Southard question

AndrewH60

BANNED
I have been interested in trying a Southard flipper black version, without success due to unavailability and price (I’m in Australia). I can get one new here but it’s a high $500’s price. What I like is the blade shape and how much of the blade is edge. The Spyderco hole + flipper is really good for me at work. Any other Spyderco model recommendations thanks. Don’t want the forward finger choil.
Trying to save trolling through their miriad of models.
Thanks for any ideas.

Edit. Not interested in the blades where the edge is set back from the tang a lot eg. Para 2.
Also probably around the same price I could get a good Southard for, but not sure of what they go for as all I see is sold with no price on exchange search.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a Delica I'm getting rid of at present (too small). Endura Delica they would have to have steel liners and no serrations.. I've been going through spyderwikie. Stretch2, Opus, Kapara, Mike Draper folder, Magnitude, stand out so far.

I ❤️love❤️ the Southard, though it’s not without it‘s idiosyncrasies.
$400 would be a tough sell for me though.

Are you looking for a flipper?
Spyderco’s Advocate comes to mind, though it’s also discontinued. It’s a thinner knife and won’t be as grippy as the Southard’s G 10. The M4 steel won’t be as stain/rust resistant as 204p, but people seem to love M4 (I’ve yet to experience it).

From the current lineup, how about the Amalgam? It has a forward choil, but the cutting edge is the same as the Southard.

Spyderco’s website makes it easy to glance at what’s current in their catalogue.

Thanks. The catalogue is a good idea. Just sold a GB2, I like M4. Doesn't have to be a flipper just the thumb hole is enough really. The Opus is looking really interesting. Advocate was an option too, not sure about the sticky out flipper tab though. Amalgam rings a bell will revisit it. Cheers.

Opus or Kapara?
Both seem quite similar, Kapara has washers but what has the Opus got, can anyone tell me please. Any preferences?

It's not a 100% copy and it's discontinued too but it's got a lot of the same vibe.
C203TIP_Both.png

C156GPBN_Both.png

Opus or Kapara?
Both seem quite similar, Kapara has washers but what has the Opus got, can anyone tell me please. Any preferences?

What's the question? Washers vs bearings or the type of washers used?

Don't have a Kapara but I have an Opus and I can see a white washer which I assume is teflon.

Can't see a washer in the Mantra 1 or 2 (so they might have bearings) but it looks like a bronze phosphorus washer in the Manta 3, as well as in the Southard, Advocate, Gayle Bradley 1&2 and Amalgam that I own.

Last edited:
Thanks to all the replies. At this stage I'm going to try a Kapara and seems to be quite available here and is an Australian's design. Didn't know about the cqi version till today. There's a nice range of coloured back spacers I can choose from on Alistair Phillips' website too.

Thanks to all the replies. At this stage I'm going to try a Kapara and seems to be quite available here and is an Australian's design. Didn't know about the cqi version till today. There's a nice range of coloured back spacers I can choose from on Alistair Phillips' website too.

Sounds good. I never liked the Kapara but many people do. Nothing "wrong" w/it. Just doesn't offer me anything new/different from the other 144 Spydies that I already own to motivate me to buy one.

BTW, there are new black Southards available for sale on EB and a used one for sale on ACK. The sellers on EB won't ship internationally but ACK will. PM me if you don't know what the acronyms stand for.

Sounds good. I never liked the Kapara but many people do. Nothing "wrong" w/it. Just doesn't offer me anything new/different from the other 144 Spydies that I already own to motivate me to buy one.

BTW, there are new black Southards available for sale on EB and a used one for sale on ACK. The sellers on EB won't ship internationally but ACK will. PM me if you don't know what the acronyms stand for.
Big thanks.:thumbsup::)

29266C19-D432-43AD-A5BB-9E9EF503CED6.jpegDE71E04E-5431-4C88-AE61-27F795B3102C.jpeg

I didn't think I would like the Kapara, but as soon as I handled one I had to have it. It's a really great knife, lots of blade, pretty compact, very ergonomic. Amazing action as well. Only ding is its really slim and manipulating the lock can be sketchy until you get used to it.

It was definitely a big surprise to me. So classy looking too.

Agreed. I like it. I love the cutting edge length and although it does have a small finger choil it doesn’t impact the edge length too much which I wanted to get away from. I’m getting used to the dimensions. Makes a great food prep knife.
I was able to get a Southard flipper which is what I was really after,but I’m glad I got the Kapara.
DD5BDD3A-791E-4E66-97D8-73897579CB61.jpegDF0568DE-DF99-4A9A-8F2D-CFE366EB9A47.jpeg

Agreed. I like it. I love the cutting edge length and although it does have a small finger choil it doesn’t impact the edge length too much which I wanted to get away from. I’m getting used to the dimensions. Makes a great food prep knife.
I was able to get a Southard flipper which is what I was really after,but I’m glad I got the Kapara.
View attachment 1635850View attachment 1635851

Is that backspacer one of the Alistair Philips ones? It looks quite a bit brighter than the standard spacer. I like it!

Back