SP5 original vs. new

Thoughts on the original "Spec Plus SP5" vs. the newer "SP-5 Survival Bowie"? My understanding is the original used 1095 steel and the newer model uses 1075 steel. I know the older one's came with a custom size DeSantis sheath, while the new model uses the same (made in China) SP-53 sheath - that's just a bit over sized for the SP-5.
PS: I ordered an SP-2 from Amazon that's due for delivery this Friday.

I have both. Haven’t noticed a big difference between them in use. The newer ones don’t have a sharpened swedge.

I prefer the new sheath to the dangler style ones that came with my old versions. If I was going to buy another sp5, I’d probably get the new one.

I only have the 1095 version so can't directly compare. Based on everything I've read and reviews however, I would not hesitate to buy a new one. Even if I decided to invest in another sheath, is still a redeiculous deal.

You won’t be disappointed. I have three of the newer ones and they work great.

I actually like the sheath; even more than the KaBar Becker large sheath.

It has two securing straps.

Great value knife!

OKC did a study and found their version of 1075 is a better steel for most purposes for their knives.

I got the SP-5 FINALLY because of the non sharpened swedge because I live in an "EVIL DAGGER!" state. Its a nice versatile multi-tool like a BK-9 or my RD-9.

Sheath...I can live with it, it works and the 1075 steel and cheaper sheath makes it a bit more affordable.

I have had 3+ different "old" sp5's- 2 with the desantis sheath (one which i still own) and one with a newer nylon sheath-

These were all 1095, and the oldest ones had poor fit and finish, and sharpened swedges. It was actually the first knife i reviewed and that swedge was one of my few complaints.

Anyways, the newest ones have 1 gen newer sheath, this time a chinese made nylon sheath, and its not bad, no sharpened swedge, and 1075. Honestly all EXCELLENT choices. If my old sp5 fails ill be excited to get a newer one.

With that said, the old desantis half leather half nylon sheath is cool, but i wouldnt say its "better"- all in all i would say the most recent sp5 is the best yet.

Back