SP6 steel?

Hi all, wonder if anyone can tell me what steel my Ontario SP6 is. I saved the box and it is dated November 2016. Is it still 1095 or is it 1075?

Last edited:
Is it stamped or laser etched? They seemed to switch to laser etching on many models around the same time they switched some to 1075 from 1095.

Don’t take this as a hard fact, just my observation.

Well there should be no worry really about the steel. It was explained that OKC found their 1075 version was a but tougher and less prone to breakage than 1095. At the cost of maybe a little more sharpening according to the great Experted one who retired recently.

I have the same knives in both 1095 and 1075 and really can't tell the difference in the wear and abusal stuff I do to them.

Well there should be no worry really about the steel. It was explained that OKC found their 1075 version was a but tougher and less prone to breakage than 1095. At the cost of maybe a little more sharpening according to the great Experted one who retired recently.

I have the same knives in both 1095 and 1075 and really can't tell the difference in the wear and abusal stuff I do to them.

“...maybe a little more sharpening,,,”

is that really your experience? I have a few Ontario SP knives in 1095 and a lot of Condor 1075 and the difference is night and day. Of course that could be because of heat treat. However I would assume condor knows how to HT 1075 since they use it so much in all their knives but Joe flowers did get them to produce some knives in 1095 over recent years.

Back