"Space" Blankets

For years I've seen the so-called "space blankets" advertised. Usually a very small square of folded reflective material that supposedly is as warm as a thick blanket (due to the shiny stuff reflecting body heat).

Do those things really work? I've often wondered if I should get a couple and toss them in my truck for emergencies (i.e., broken down in a storm, to warm an injured person at an accident scene, etc).

Thanks,

------------------

--Frank C.

I tried on on a hiking trip last year. It got down to the high 40s overnight (10 degrees colder than it was "supposed" to get) with a mild breeze. I was sleeping in an impromptu leanto shelter wearing jeans,a T shirt and a thick chamois shirt over that. I has a canvas sheet for bedding with a few inches of leaves under it. I kept a small fire burning all night. In short I was COLD! THe Spaceblanket is so light that the slightest breeze blew it up and let the cold wind blow inderneath. It also krinkled loudly waking me up more than once. I ended up splitting open a big trashbag and used it to augment the spaceblanket which helped some. I`d say the spaceblanket was about the equal of a flannel sheet,certainly NOT like a thick blanket. Still it was better than nothing and it was certainly small and light eough to pack. Marcus

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking mostly of it for emergency use.

Was in REI today, and saw two models. One that rolled up into an ultra-small package (about the size of an eggroll) for $3.25.

The other was much more substantial in thickness, and actually seemed like it LOOKED warm. That one folded into about the size of a 1" thick hardcover novel, and was $10.

------------------

--Frank C.

Frank-
Go over to the Tactics and Training Section under wilderness and survival. MDP posted a similar question and I left an answer there.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Where no law exists there still must be justice- Dan Mahoney

I've used them and found them reasonably effective. The thing to remember is they are good as reflectors of radient heat, but they will loose heat through conduction.

So most effective would be wrapped around yourself loosely, worst would be wrapped tightly making skin contact, then laying against something cold.

DaveH

I have kept the "blankets" in my kit for 8-9 years, and also found them lacking when out in woods; if this is all you have. I suppliment one of the blankets with a "Space Bag"(same material-shaped like a zipped up sleeping bag)that I can crawl into, and a piece of about 0.8 mil plastic for a ground cloth. All three pieces go into pouch with lighter, H2o-proof matches, Solitare light, and signal mirror. Fits in thigh pocket easily and together kept me warm in Eastern KY overnite in Nov. Try one of the bags-they really help suppliment the blankets. Found mine in a K-Mart.

I'll have to check those out. As stated, I'm not interested so much for camping, but for emergency roadside use; though if I was stranded in my truck in winter, I'm sure that bag would be warmer...

------------------

--Frank C.

Hi Frank C.....any relation?

I have the space blanket for the same reason. I keep it in the truck. They do work. Nice to have especially in a mountainous/desert enviornment.

Can double as a poncho, semi-signal device, shade, collect dew for water,

Real handi item for short money and no space wasted. Micro likes them to.

[This message has been edited by Frank Castle (edited 05-22-2000).]

Back