Spacer Question

Hi this is DaQo'tah

I wanted to know what type of spacer material Ed Fowler used in his 52100 video?

Hello DaQo'Tah: I use black spacer material (gasket materia I believe)that I purchased from K & G. I use four thicknesses, thin, med, thick and real thick. The real thick is about 1/16" and I have used it only once, the rest is thinner. The thin goes on fawns, medium on yearlings,and the thicker goes on Prongorns, camps and bowies. Sometimes I grind the thin stuff even thinner for fetus and embrio size Pronghorns.

Sounds like you are getting ready to put a knife together?

thanks Ed.

Mr. Fowler..I have felt very lucky to have found this website, and to have been able to ask you guys questions and,,,I cant believe that you all find the time to answer my dumb questions
But you do...

Thanks Ed for all your help, your words, and your video are a big part of my days now as I plan my next steps with my first knives.

You asked about the chance Im getting ready to put the handle on? and well,,Im getting there.

You see, as I write this my first 52-100 blade sits ready to see if I can understand how you heat treated your blades in that video.

I left the blade edge about as thick as 1 and 1/2 quarters as you talk about in the video. Im all set to try my new torch on them and with a few more things to get lined up,,,(Like today I got many answers to my Texaco Type "A" oil questions) I believe that I can do this soon.

Im also running around trying to find a handle material that will allow me to complete my blade like you have shown, yet allow me to bring something of myself to this knife as well.

so far,,,its been one darn lesson after another,,,every time I log onto this website after I have been out working in my little forge/shop I learn something new that "I should have done an hour ago"

But its been so much FUN!

..The reason I asked about the spacer you used was that in the video you are slideing one spacer into place, then you notice that its upside down and slide it off,,,,well while you do this I noticed the sound was a sound like that of a hard Plastic .

I just wanted to see if the spacer material was as hard in real life as it sounded in the video?

and, yes, I wanted to know where you got them, so I could search for a like material where I live,,,,,

Back