Spalted Beech Durability/Water Resistance

Hey All,

I just purchased my first Chris Reeve Knife and I was wondering how the spalted beech inlays fair when using the knife to EDC. From what I have been reading, some of the woods have a more natural water resistance than others, even with the polyester resin. Any advice, reviews, and cautions are greatly appreciated from those of you who have EDC'd a sebenza with spalted beech.

For those of you who are curious, this is the CRK I purchased from knives ship free.
http://i.imgur.com/3O4K1CQ.jpg

Thanks All!!

Nice score! And lovely grain on this one. The inlays are stabilized (pressure infused with resin) so no need to worry about water etc... all the pores are sealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like that one! And the beans is right, as long as you don't make a habit of running it through the washer.

Beautiful choice, snooppy! A fine choice for sure.

Will it be for looking at or using? :)

Holy Schnikes!!!! That SB patterning looks amazing.

Great choice out of the gate.

Very Nice. One of the nicest spalted beech we have seen. Damascus to boot. Congrats.

I've thumped pretty hard on my Box Elder over the years. The inlays show no signs of giving up. Pretty sure you have no worries.

Ahh, you see the black lines - all hope is lost.
Send it to me, I'll dispose it for you.
:)

PS: great catch - don't worry.

Beautiful choice, snooppy! A fine choice for sure.

Will it be for looking at or using? :)

I bought two because I couldn't bring myself to use it. The other is a small 21 cgg perception with the s35v. The perception will be the edc, the other will most likely be a safe queen. But in case I do want to use it I started this thread to see how it holds up. I want to keep it as nice as possible! :)

I can understand that.

This is one of mine that is a user for me. I EDC it off-work along with a few of its siblings.

Don't be afraid to use them. For me, that's part of the pleasure of owning them. :)

Back