Spangler Asymmetrical Chef's Knife

Beautiful knife, looks like you got a very nice finish on the S30V, and the grooved linen micarta handle really pops. 1/4" is thick for a kitchen knife, many chefs seem to like large blades 8-10" long and the thinner the better. The curve looks dramatic and unique but for cutting food on a board the Sabatier shape (long flat section, less belly) seems preferred over the more curved German profile. This would be sharpened the same way as a yanagi or deba? S30V is pretty abrasion resistant, it might be quite a challenge to try to sharpen on the entire front bevel... I guess most people would put a microbevel or slight convex on the front face.

I like it. If I were using it for culinary work, I'd want the handle to be polished. Otherwise I agree with you on the bolsters that go down to the edge, I don't get them either.
Well, actuall I do understand, but I don't need them for a choked up grip.

So, is this for a left handed chef? I've never used a knife with that grind, or even close to it. I'm thinking as a right handed cook, I would want the hollow/flat sides to be reversed.
And Michael, do you have pics of the other 2 that you mentioned, or other chef knives that you've made? Plus, how heavy is this blade, in hand, and where's the balance point? Thanks in advance.

I've been wanting to try different edges like that, in a chef's knife. I'm intrigued for sure, but how's the weight on those? Seems like @ 1/4" thick, there could be some weight in the handle, are there any holes drilled out of the tang?

Yes and no. You're making me want one:)

I see you've been on BF a while, you've been making some nice knives, do you have a website?

Back