Spanish flea market finds & other stuff that might be of interest!

Thank you S Square_peg , useful link to Timeless tools logo page. 👍.

Grace's guide is good, I've used it & actually contributed images to it as well but it only works if you have a company name to start with like so many sites...
Going from Grace's guide it looks as though Spearwell's brand only lasted from 67~72, that certainly makes the hoe easy to date!

Thanks once again.

A friend gave me this he found in the garage of a house he bought & didn't know what it was.

cIHaPoX.jpg

I recognised it as a slate ripper but was surprised to find it here (south Spain) as wooden slate or tile roofs aren't common.
It's nicely hand made from round stock with hammer marks & a good taper, 30" long.

Pictured with a "Lista" brand 400g hatchet I quite like for carving, one of the few hatchets I've bought new. The very oval slip fit handle gives it a narrow eye & came painted half black, as I sanded it I left the effect as I liked it. Mask I made from some old thick leather.
I think Lista is Spanish made, but I've failed to find much information on the company.

It's been pictured before in this thread but sadly after I (like so many) refused to pay a large amount to that infamous image hosting site many images in this thread have now disappeared.
The strange thing is that if I tap "Edit" on any post with the images missing they show up for me in the Edit window, question for those more techy than me, can I somehow use this to my advantage? Can I download them as I'm often now missing the original image?
I've contemplated re-inserting the images I have but it's a lot of work, maybe it's just better to throw the odd axe or hatchet of the past into a new photo if it's not quite axey enough.... :)

Last edited:
Can I download them as I'm often now missing the original image?
In your case it looks like:

Yes.

The problem is not with image hosting sites.

When images are seen in EDIT, they are available from the image host.

Images show in EDIT, but not in a post because the software displays them differently.

Bob

You may be able to revive your images by changing the url from http to https.

Mmm... I'mNotSoSharp in reality, in Edit I don't see a way of changing the URL.... And how you got that image from post #1 ..... It must be magic you dabble in 🪄......
Appreciate any advice thought, thanks.

When images are seen in EDIT, they are available from the image host.

Images show in EDIT, but not in a post because the software displays them differently.

The images are still in Photobucket (mods please delete that if it's now a swear word 😄), but in Edit I see no way of downloading them, I have zero access to Photof____it.
As I've already said I should have a name change to I'mNotSoSharp, any advice is going to have to be given in v-e-r-y simple terms...🤪
Thanks.

rjdankert rjdankert thank you so much for literally spelling it out, it's worked!! Just got the images back in the very first post :)
And thanks S Square_peg as I now understand what you meant.

So, I've just had a look & images are missing to post #244 😳 of course they aren't all my posts with images but many are......
I think I'll be rather practiced at this procedure soon! 😵‍💫 😄

Thanks once again for your efforts 👍, it'll be nice to get the images back even if they are watermarked, it ruins a thread when images disappear.

Edit- when I said I see no way of downloading them I meant when they appear in the Edit window, I can't right click on them. But that doesn't matter now. Thanks.

First 13 pages of my images now showing again 😊.
Some I haven't seen for years as I no longer have the originals. I tend to use this thread sometimes to remember a name or put a date to when something found me 🙃, so it's great having images back.

And so folks don't think I'm "all show & no go" 😃 below is a Banana plant that had fruited & needed chopped up before it rotted & invited disease.
Sadly I was away during the Bananas ripening, as can be seen they're now past it.

xqJAADI.jpg

I've put a very sharp edge on the machete & it went through the stem like butter, the weight helping. Chopped it into small pieces left on the ground to feed the next plants.

More useless facts 😄 I didn't know - No part of a Banana plant is toxic, it can all be eaten thought you probably wouldn't want to. In some parts of the world the center of the stem is eaten & used in drinks, the stem can be used to feed animals also.🧐

Last edited:
A few of those bananas at the tip might still be good. At least good enough to make banana bread.

Something I've not made & had to look it up, sounds delicious & the older & softer the bananas the better apparently, so good idea as more plants are going to fruit.

Depends on the variety, too. Some cultivars are best eaten when browning like shown.

I ate the very first Banana off that bunch, two turned yellow before the rest & it tasted OK though it would have benefited from more time on the plant to be at it's best, that was about four weeks before the photo was taken.

Weeks of nothing special turning up & today I found this.....

CVdEgth.jpg

kmyCIN1.jpg

I've seen this shape once before but can't remember where!
It has a cutting edge on the hatchet part but looks as though only the end of the long part was sharpened, it tapers all the way from the handle to the tip.

The stirrup adze blade has the marking "James Cam Sheffield", it looks like that company disappeared in 1905.

IehlhHp.jpg

A few more bits, a Bellota Rock hammer with a tatty fibreglass handle hiding behind tape, it'll probably get a wooden handle, a Veneer hammer & another small head I haven't identified yet. The file turns out to be a Swiss made Vallorbe, I picked it up and had never felt a large file as fine, comparable to some needle files I have so thought it'd be useful for finishing, I was surprised to see the new price for it.....😳

6L90sJ8.jpg

If anyone recognizes a use for this hammer please let us know 🙂

r6kfSO3.jpg

Are the sharpened portion of the blades of the hatchet/machete both on the same edge or do they oppose?
What ever was the purpose of that? Quite a challenge for a sheath maker. :rolleyes:

Back