Spear Fishing

Just ordered some fishing spears from bass pro.

Ya'll got any advice or experiances about spear fishing?

It takes some practice-due to light refraction the fish aren't exactly where you put the speerhead, but it's a heck of alot of fun when (or if) it's legal!

I used to go spear fishing on the reefs on WA around Greenough :)

we knew the coast , and picked our reefs , usualy nice and flat shelfs that were covered by a meter - meter and a half at high tide , had to be high tide at night , little or no moonlight , and we would take a bright torch , hand spear , and and go spotlighting fish

it took maybe 10 minutes to get used to spearing the shadow at the edge of the torch beam , we would get maybe 20 big bream a night when we went out a few sweetlips and the ocasional rock cod if we were lucky

one memorable night I had a bad feeling about one end of the reef , I listen to my instincts usualy but my brother had to go see ... I felt obligated to go as back up , incase he got into trouble ... one second he is saying oh man this is a biggun ... then before I can say or do anything he had speared it and is screamin for help

he nailed a reefshark about a meter and a half long and was havin hells own trying to keep it down on the reef ...

we got it , eventually but I was kinda over fishin with him after that

Sounds like fun.

I'm going to move this to our new Hunting & Fishing forum.

You going to try to gig bream and what-not? Did you get straight up spears or slings? Gigging fish like bream and bass is difficult, but doable. It'll take a little practice to hit where your aiming, but the biggest thing is speed. The only fish I gig are flounder, and an occasional mullet. Even the mullet can be hard to gig during the day. Shooting them with a sling is a cinch.

Myal

Sounds like you were wading?

Fish Shooter
Do you mean that it was easy with ? A hawian sling i.e Surgical rubber band - or something else?

I used to wade along the edges of sandbanks in a tidal lagoon (Googleys Lake Dunbogan 400km North of Sydney) with a handsdpear at low tide or when the water had just come over the sandbanks - and spear mud and blue swimmer crabs.

At a Fiji resort I went out at night with a staff member who speared for food with a really basic snorkelling setup - basically just found fish sleeping under the coral with a cheap torch and stabbed them with a short non barbed spear - just a long nail set in some old fiberglass - probably an old broken fishing rod. Don't even think he had flippers

He also used a throw spear off the edge of the reefs during the day - bamboo with a few nail/wire tips. Also cast horizontally into schools of small fish in the shallows - I even managed to succed at that with no skill

Myal

Fish Shooter
Do you mean that it was easy with ? A hawian sling i.e Surgical rubber band - or something else?
I'm talking about what's also called a poke pole. The tubing is attached to the spear. A Hawaiian sling has tow separate pieces, like an underwater slingshot. :thumbup:

Myal

Sounds like you were wading?

yup I cant swim :)
just walking around the reef with water anywhere between knees and high up on chest

should be noted I spose tho , the reefs we used to fish on used to be covered in limpets near as big as the palm of your hand, abalone everywhere and crayfish were a problem crawling around under ya feet

When I went back for a look recently , its a bare rock shelf pretty much no weed , no shellfish , nothing

but there is a housing development now in easy walking distance to the reefs where it used to be a 40km drive

Back