Spec Ops Sheath - Molding Failure

resurrecting a zombie thread to ask where the best place to get replacement liners is? nothing on spec ops web site. I emailed them but nothing yet.

Honestly, if you have a number of knives.....I'd be buying some kydex and the appropriate molding materials (foam, etc) and making my own if I wanted individually molded specops liners.

If you just want a kick-ass sheath...get a brown, azwelke, etc. Their stuff is amazing and the costs for their sheaths are reasonable compared to a one-knife spec-ops. I like spec-ops because I can stuff a bunch of different knives in them without mods. But if I want a specific sheath, I make them myself or buy a brown.

With the number of knives I have, I invested in kydex molding materials and learned to do it myself for my IWB sheaths (mostly because nobody sees them and they look shitty compared to a brown).

Honestly, if you have a number of knives.....I'd be buying some kydex and the appropriate molding materials (foam, etc) and making my own if I wanted individually molded specops liners.

If you just want a kick-ass sheath...get a brown, azwelke, etc. Their stuff is amazing and the costs for their sheaths are reasonable compared to a one-knife spec-ops. I like spec-ops because I can stuff a bunch of different knives in them without mods. But if I want a specific sheath, I make them myself or buy a brown.

With the number of knives I have, I invested in kydex molding materials and learned to do it myself for my IWB sheaths (mostly because nobody sees them and they look shitty compared to a brown).

Thanks 556Guy. I have a Brown, a Welke, a Rainwalker, and a couple other custom Kydex sheaths picked up over the years, but I also have a spec ops and assorted cordura sheaths that I'd like to use for more than one knife and figured a couple easy mold liners could help.

As for making stuff myself, I totally would, just not that much space for projects in my apartment. :).

With the Spec Ops liners I usually do not go over 212° F.
Basically I just use boiling water to heat the liner, works perfectly fine.
Funny they claim it is kydex. Kydex feels way stronger than their stuff and takes the heat much slower.

Thanks 556Guy. I have a Brown, a Welke, a Rainwalker, and a couple other custom Kydex sheaths picked up over the years, but I also have a spec ops and assorted cordura sheaths that I'd like to use for more than one knife and figured a couple easy mold liners could help.

As for making stuff myself, I totally would, just not that much space for projects in my apartment. :).

Yeah, that darn space issue is a bastard! Been there. I'm a very hands-on kind of guy and my last move required I downgraded my workspace size. Sucks! Not having my shop would suck even harder.

If I offended you, I didn't mean to. If that is the case, my apologies.

Funny they claim it is kydex. Kydex feels way stronger than their stuff and takes the heat much slower.

It could be "kydex" there are dozens of grades and types of kydex but only certain types are good for this application.

I have worked with the spec-ops liners and they do not work like any plastic I have worked with.

I used my wife's hair dryer to fit my spec ops liner to my tglb. I have a similar sheath from Tops that I need to get a liner for. Theirs is like a piece of the clear plastic that was wrapped around a piece of flat bar stock.

Yeah, that darn space issue is a bastard! Been there. I'm a very hands-on kind of guy and my last move required I downgraded my workspace size. Sucks! Not having my shop would suck even harder.

If I offended you, I didn't mean to. If that is the case, my apologies.

No offense at all. no worries.

The space thing is choice. My commute is great, but there are some things I just can't do here.

guarantee Dave Brown, Azwelke, or Mashed cat have one..
Hey, if you still want to use your Spec Ops sheath, Azwelke makes replacement kydex liners that are fitted to the knife. I have one; he does wonderful work. I don’t have a replacement liner from Dave or Mashed Cat, but I’ve seen that they’ve done them; and I have regular sheaths from them. Can’t go wrong with any of them.

But yes....I would definitely get custom kydex replacements made for the Spec Ops. It’ll hold the blade better.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from getting a good sheath or liner, but I read where you wanted to use your Spec Ops for multiple knives...

Consider triple folding a sheet of thin kydex over each of the blades. Poke the screw hole in the end, it’ll do the same as one of the Spec Ops liners, but you can make it without press-forming it; and you control the process.

I have only ever fitted one spec ops liner. It did not act anything like kydex. I have the stuff to make my own kydex sheaths. It is not real cheap to get all you need. I just did it to see if I could and I think I have gotten fairy good at it but no where close to David Brown. It is not worth doing them yourself unless you are making several a year. The last kydex I bought was on sale at Blade last year for 5.00 a sheet. I have given 13 to 15 per 8x12 sheet on ebay. At those prices you can have just about as much in a DIY sheath as buying one from a pro.

I really appreciate all of the kind words and recommendations. Thank You all so much!!
I do not have the BG ASH1 any longer so I'd recommend getting a hold of Dave Brown for that one, unless you want to send it in.:) I’m always open for custom jobs;)
Ps mashed cat might have one too.

Thanks again,
Al

AzWelke makes a SOB insert for any knife he has on his list and if not all you have to do is send your blade in for a molding. I have had a few like this from him. The spec ops brand sheaths are well worth it and if you are a Vet or Active Duty you get 25% discount from Spec Ops Brand. Winner, winner, chicken dinner in my opinion.

Sorry to hear that, but next time just use a heat gun. No issues at all and can get an amazing fit with some patience. No oven!

Sorry to hear that, but next time just use a heat gun. No issues at all and can get an amazing fit with some patience. No oven!

Just be careful with the heat gun, they get a lot hotter than you will first think they will.

Just be careful with the heat gun, they get a lot hotter than you will first think they will.
The heat gun I use is adjustable for temperature, so not really an issue once you figure out the coolest temperature that will still render the kydex/plastic moldable. I've marked settings for shrink tubing and kydex on the temperature adjustment dial, so it's a simple deal. Porter Cable PC1500HG 1500 Watt Heat Gun around $30. I also use the nozzle attachment kit, which allows me to focus the heat in small areas, so that I do not unintentionally undo previously shaped areas.

B96D430B-A43C-4EAB-8074-44AF9C4CD89D.jpeg AA2E7B01-1BD0-4780-911D-0D9FD8561042.jpeg

I was able to get a decent fit in less than 5 min using heat from a burner on the stove. I held the liner ( old stock version with the screw ) about 10 inches from the flame, passing it over , flipping from side to side until it became noticeably warm and a slightly soft. I gently slid the blade in, very careful not to force it ( took 3 or so attempts & a few extra passes over the heat source). Once the blade was able to fit I lightly pinched the side of the liner that contacts the cutting edge to back it away and prevent future dulling. The whole process will take a little longer to dial in . The basic molding can be done quickly though.

I would recommend a heat gun as # 1 choice , or hot water. I’ve tried the oven in the past and will never attempt again.

I think the two most important things I’ve figured out ( after about 10 spec ops sheaths ) is that the newer Velcro liners are not good for “ re fitting “ and do not take heat well . The MOST important thing is taking your time and using caution .

I’ve had luck every time I have used the old stock “screwed” spec ops.

Last edited:
Back