special orders

If the web site does get running again, I have a question for some of you established customers.

In the past, was Craig able to do special requests for a single Khukuri? To be specific, steel fittings instead of brass, and an Afghan model made heavier than usual? Thanks.

Gshamr,

I used to have an Afghan. It's a beautiful khukuri with a balance that's more forward than all the others. Enough in fact that I wouldn't recommend it to be any heavier than it is. If more weight is what you want, you might be better served by getting a heavier Ang Khola. A heavier Afghan will feel much heavier than it is. Unless you've had a chance to swing an Afghan as is, my feeling is you'd be pleased with the current model.

As for special orders, my only experience was a few times a year ago, and it wasn't really encouraged. GH seems to deal more in standard models. It could be that I caught Craig on busy days and somebody else has ordered custom khukuris, but that was my experience.

I'm not really a fan of steel fittings. My 25" AK has a steel ferrule, and when I rebuilt the handle I found rust inside. A small place tore, so the inside got cleaned out with steel wool, sealed with a rust preventor and glued to solve the problem. I think brass is a better material. Just my limited experience and narrow opinion.

Hope you get something you really like.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Lt Dan. I think I'll take your advice on both counts. Did you say a 25" Ang Khola? How heavy is something like that?

The 25 incher is a few ounces shy of 4 pounds. It's really not so heavy, because the handle is big enough to get both my hands on. I'm an average guy, and for me khukuris are best as 1 or 2 handed models. There are some in between sizes that are tempting, but getting far over 2 pounds is a bit much for one hand to use very long, and there needs to be enough handle there for 2.

I have some variety in size: Mini Jungle, WW2, Cheetlang, and 25" AK. All handles are rosewood, and I would've kept that Afghan, but it was horn. Not that I have anything against horn, as it might be even tougher than wood, but I'm just a plain old wood kinda guy. The more I use my khukuris, it's become obvious they are superbly engineered just as they are.

Hope this has been of some help, Gshamr.

Dan

Back