Specific edc folder . . . WH or Benchmade or ?

rgc

Howdy all, I need some advice. I am looking for a good edc pocket knife. This knife will be used for cutting, that is to say, I am not going to treat it like a fixed blade. What I am looking for is about three inch blade in a drop point/clip point type blade in a decent steel (154, ATS-34, S30V, D2, etc.). The knife can either be titanium handles or have titanium liners with other material for the handles. As far as the lock, it really does not make that big of a difference to me. Please remember, that this knife is going to be carried in my pocket no matter what I am wearing from suit pants to jeans. Thus, no big honking tactical knives. Like I said this is going to be a cutter and a slicer (not a pry bar or a chopper), however, I want a knife that I could use to prep a deer if needed (i.e. I don’t have my Dozier K-2 on me).

Now the catch, I want it to be $150 or less. If I had the money I would just go get a Dozier Hunter or a Sebenza, but I don’t.

Right now I have only two in consideration. First, the William Henry T-12 with the rounded G-10 handles from A.G. Russell right at $150. The other knife is a Benchmade 690. The 690 has rosewood handles with carbon fiber bolsters. Both knives have titanium liners (the WH has a titanium clip too) and both use decent steel (WH ATS-34 and 690 154cm). I keep going back and forth between the two. Thus, if you have experience with either one or both feel free to interject. Additionally, if you have any other suggestions please make them. Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

rgc

I would strongly recommend that you try these knives out before purchase.

Personally, the WH T-12 is too light for my tastes. It feels fragile - even though it's probably an extremely strong knife. I've learned that I need something around 3 oz or more.

The 690 felt too wide for my tastes. It looked like it would fit my hand perfectly, but when I picked it up I instantly knew it was not for me. The top of the handle was too squared off and blocky - it didn't feel smooth in my hand.

Have you looked into the Ritter Griptilian? If you can get over the handles, this knife is surprisingly useful. I love the blade shape and size. The mini has a 3" blade and runs for $105.

-Duffin

I own both of these knives, though my t-12 is in carbon fiber and has a single titanium liner (not sure if the g-10 handled version has double liners).
If you're looking for a gentleman's knife that won't raise an eyebrow if used in public, then I recommend the t-12. The 690 is much more robust, with thicker blade steel and liners, which along with the handle thickness of the 690, makes it a more heavy-use knife, in my opinion. Both are liner locks, and both are well constructed.
I will add that I am a huge William Henry fan, and own 6 others of varying styles, and have never been afraid to use them as working knives.

Hope this helps...

I will recommend a Benchmade 943. I have been carrying one for a year or so now and it is a great knife. It has aluminum handles with a titanium back spacer, AXIS lock, and a 3.4" clip point blade of 154CM. This knife is a real great knife for general cutting tasks and very comfortable to carry.

Duffin444 said:
Have you looked into the Ritter Griptilian? If you can get over the handles, this knife is surprisingly useful. I love the blade shape and size. The mini has a 3" blade and runs for $105.

-Duffin

I was thinking Mini Ritter too..

Duffin444 said:

-Duffin
I agree. For $100 you can't beat the ritter grip. It meet all your specs cept the handles are lined with steel rather than titanium. I EDC the large wich is about a 3.65" blade if memory serves me right. The mini is 2.88" blade.

Check it out for yourself http://equipped.org/rsk_mk1.htm

I'm not a fan of G-10, but the CF version of the T-12 is a great little knife. Very light but terrific fit and finish, very little flex, thin and sharp blade. I don't know if either knife would be a great choice for field dressing a deer, but the WH does have more belly...

I recommend Swamp Rat Rat Trap. On my opinion it is way underpriced.

SwampRat-RatTrap-09.jpg

SwampRat-RatTrap-15.jpg

I would call it Gentelman folder in Swamp Rat - Busse style.

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Main point I fogot - it is the most comfortable for the pocket - big enougt to be easily reached and thin and light enough to be unnoticed when you do not need it.

While Swamp Rat making knifes for outdorsmen and pioneers for use in the field they start making knifes for same people when they back into civilization to carry something when they are meeting Quine of England or geting Noble prise for their discoveries....... Hmmm...

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

Easyrider - although this might be the best option in the long term (Oh how I would love a regular size hunter with green jig bone handles), I am just not at a stage in my life where I can spend that much money on a folder. (Read I need a new hunting rifle too).

nozh2002 - I really had not considered the rat trap as the blade is about an inch longer than I was looking for and pictured next to some of their fixed blades the over all folder looked HUGE. Then again I do remember that quite a few stated that due to its thinness it was rather comfortable in the pocket. Although the liners are steel and not titanium, I trust anything with the Swamp Rat or Busse name on it to be above and beyond tough. This one needs more consideration, that’s for sure. How light is it? Does anyone now how much it weighs? If there is one thing CCW has taught me is that weight DOES matter!

spydernut - I looked at the mini skirmish . . . I don’t know, maybe it is something about the design, maybe it is because I tend to like blades that are just a little more old fashion looking, maybe I just need to hold it and see.

As for the other suggestions regarding the RSK Griptilian, it does look like a great knife. That said, it just seems to be missing something (to me), I don’t know and I can’t put my finger on it.

Thanks again guys.

Have you considered a Spyderco Ti Salsa. $90 plain edge or partially serrated at J. F. Jenson's site. You might be able to pick one up on Ebay for less but they have been infrequent lately.

how about a bm 960 osborne? gotta love those axis locks. Hate to do the cliche'd thing when people set a price limit, but for 185 you could get a great little ti slicer, a buck/mayo tnt....

Back