Specwar quality nearer Commander or CQC7?

Just curious about the new Specwar series of production knives. I have seen the Commanders, very impressive. Also saw the CQC7's, not impressive. Wondering where the Specwars fall in there. Thanks! jeff

I have owned a Commander and a Specwar. Both are great quality. The Specwar has been out for about 1 1/4 years.

Perhaps I missed something but I believe that the CQC-7 and the SPECWAR Folder are made by Emerson(TM). In other words they are both production knives made at his production facility thus subject to the same standards. As far as the respective design characteristics go I much prefer the overall profile of the SPECWAR to that of the CQC-7. The SPECWAR's handle shape provides a guard and a more secure purchase granting greater confidence of use. I also prefer the SRECWAR's blade shape to that of the CQC-7's but that is more of an aesthetic than functional preference.
I own a CQC-7 and have compared it to the SPECWAR. They seem to be cut of the same cloth.

------------------
Never argue with a man that wears a size 5 hat.

I believe the original question was concerning the quality level. The Specwar is on level with the Commander, not the CQC7. This is why it costs so much more. The G-10 scales are thicker on the Specwar and the Ti-Liners are also thicker. These are both features of the Commander as well. The Commander and Specwar are more solid and lock up better than the CQC7

Jason

Thanks for the replies. Fenris that was EXACTLY my question. Good info, thanks...jeff

Ditto what Fenris said, I carry a Commander, my wife carries a SpecWar, she prefers Inside Waist Band (IWB) Carry, which the Commander, IMHO, is not exactly what you want to be flipping out of IWB. A pocket is different!

The SpecWar is a higher quality item than the CQC-7, and I do not think E.E. would take offense at anyone saying that...

Looking at all three, and to be honest the SpecWar is my least favorite. The Commander is the smoothest and feels best in the hand. My CQC7 (production) is 98% of the Commander. Hell it doesn't rub the liners, the Commander's blade does.

If you prefer IWB, stay away from the SpecWar, the clip puts almost an inch of square G10 above the waist.

------------------
"Women bring life into the world
and much death, for they sway the
destinies of men." -Anneas

I like both the Specwar and the Commander more that the CQC-7. The handles on both fit in my hand better than the CQC-7. I also like how the shape of the handle should prevent you hand from sliding forward.

I like both the Specwar and the Commander more that the CQC-7. The handles on both fit in my hand better than the CQC-7. I also like how the shape of the handle should prevent you hand from sliding forward.

------------------

I am far from being an expert on Emerson knives but I handled three yesterday and my thoughts are that the CQC7 has a smallish handle but workable and not UN-comfortable. The liner locks where it is supposed to and locks up tight too. No blade play, and, no guard either.
frown.gif
Not my first choice but it'll work.
The Specwar series OTHO is a different beast.
Love that integral guard, makes all the difference IMO, the lockup is tight, no blade play, and the liner goes just short of center on the blade tang. The liners are nested, which is a great feature! KUDOS Emerson! The tracking on the handle affords a very firm grip.
I had a REAL dilemma yesterday as I handled this folder. I did not want to spend that extra money that day (I was there for an Emerson LaGriffe) but now I feel like I should have. I will be going back to get one of those Specwars in the very near future. Guaranteed!
Drat! I'm rambling...
I hope this helps!

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

[This message has been edited by misque (edited 15 October 1999).]

Please disregard the above inaccuracy about the Specwar having nested liners. They don't, it's a mental typo on my part (for some reason I mentally shifted to the Raven series) and this stupid thing won't let me edit it.
Sorry.

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

[This message has been edited by misque (edited 15 October 1999).]

Back