Speedsafe rattle?

Just purchased a Zero Tolerance 302 and it's the first speedsafe knife that I own. After playing around with the knife a couple of times, I noticed when the knife is deployed and lock, something seems to rattle around the pivot area of the knife when I shake the knife. After shaking it a bit, the noise disappears until I open the knife again. Does anyone know if this is normal? Is their something loose inside I should know about? I would appreciate anyone's insight on the matter. Cheers!

Its a very minute amount of blade play. you wont be able to move the blade up or down but you will hear the annoying rattle. I figured it out when I got my kershaw storm and fixed the rattle by tightening the pivot screw ever so slightly. It is a little harder to open but the rattle was driving me crazy.
hope this helps.

Its a very minute amount of blade play. you wont be able to move the blade up or down but you will hear the annoying rattle. I figured it out when I got my kershaw storm and fixed the rattle by tightening the pivot screw ever so slightly. It is a little harder to open but the rattle was driving me crazy.
hope this helps.

I'm gonna try and tighten the pivot screw like you said and hopefully the annoying rattle will go away. Thanks for the tip.

Tightened the pivot screw and the rattle is still there. This is gonna drive me nuts after spending some much on a knife that rattles!

It's not actually blade play. It's the spring that activates the speedsafe functionality being able to move around.

If you notice that when you're closing the blade, there's no resistance for the first half, that means that the spring isn't pushing on anything for that whole part (as in, it's only held at one end when the knife is open). This is completely normal, safe, and nothing to be worried about.

If you REALLY don't like it, you can open the knife up, put a small dab of petroleum jelly in the cavity that is milled out for the spring to prevent it from rattling the open position, but don't overdo it or you'll slow it down too much.

Back