Spencer Frazer Has Retired From SOG

Spencer Frazer has retired and left SOG Specialty Knives & Tools. While his retirement is certainly well-earned, I was surprised and rather saddened to read the news.

https://insideoutdoor.com/sog-founder-spencer-frazer-announces-retirement/

First Gary Fadden sells Al Mar Knives. Now Spencer Frazer is gone from SOG. The industry monoliths from my youth continue to crumble.

Lynn Thompson and Sal Glesser aren't getting any younger, either....

-Steve

one has only to reflect on the golden years of sog specialty knives and see that mr frazer had reintroduced some very unique if not obscured 'nam-era type knives to the world; which otherwise, would have never seen the light of day on a commercial scale. he made popular a genre of military styled knives which had drawn many a knifenut into the passion of knife buying and future collecting.
perhas the direction of the company's future undertakings may see a vastly different direction, but as far as the success of the early history of the brand is concerned, he did something pretty remarkable for someone who doesn't actually make knives from scratch with his own hands. a stroke of genius with brilliant marketing that will certainly inspire others in years to come.
do wish him all the best for all his future undertakings especially with his gift for an artistic flair!

I wish him well on his retirement. I met him once at an event at AG Russell’s. He was a really nice guy.

“SOG’s future is pushing into an even greater extension of the original intent when it was founded,” Frazer said. “I cannot be prouder of what the company has grown into.”

Back