Spider Monkey impressions?

I've been searching in vain for a TRM Neutron and I'm considering giving up and buying a Spider Monkey instead. I know they're drastically different knives, but they both really struck a chord with me when I saw them.

I think I like the looks of the Spider Monkey enough to make me ignore the fact that Zac Brown owns the company. Those of you that have one, how's the action? The clip seems like it would suck, does it? I know there are third party clips available, but I don't really want to put more money into an already $250 knife.

Also, I know this isn't the WTB thread, but I'll throw it out there anyway: if you have a TRM Neutron you want to sell, let me know.

I EDCed a Spider Monkey for several months and it was a good knife. The clip was a question mark for me as well before purchase but it ended up working well. If I remember correctly, the clip came very tight so I clipped it to a thin roll of duct tape for two days to stretch it out. Then it was fine. The knife feels good in hand and cuts well. The Spider Monkey is the most expensive knife I've ever owned. I personally view it as overpriced, but if you're willing to pay the price you do get a good knife.

It just seems like a bad buy. I’ve handled them and wondered where the other $100 worth of knife was in the clearly-only-worth $150 knife. The fit and finish is good but otherwise unremarkable... and certainly not worthy of the price.

That said, I feel that way about Spartan Harseys and all those other often-Instagrammed but rarely-used knives.

I like mine, it's a nice little knife. I tend to agree with the sentiment that the knife is a bit overpriced, though.

I had one for a bit. I liked it well enough, but it had a light detent and could be shaken out of the handle with moderate ease.

Good luck with your search!

I like the look a lot, but agree with the other guys... too much for what it is. Worth it if you find a decent deal on the exchange/secondary market.

I have de Spider Monkey and it is a good knife.
The s35vn is good on this knife.
the contoured and patterned CF is good.
the short clip is surprising at the beginning but finaly I am a big fan of this clip.
Actually I would like to have this clip on my emerson, IMO it is a good clip for light "tactical" knife.
the wave feature works when you work your skills.

My only complaint for the price is the "smoothness" when unlocking the blade.

That beeing said, it is a little bit overpriced.
If you need money to get tons of other knives, that is not the best choice.
If you have enough cash to found your hobby, it is a good knife and it is worth giving it a try

I've had 2 of them... one new and one from a trade. Both gone now.

My opinion: S35VN was a good choice for an everyday blade and it seems well done. I liked the blade profile and mine were both ground evenly. The lockup was good on both but I found the lockbar action to be a little too *light* for my taste. The F&F was excellent on both of mine. The clip worked well for me. I never made peace with that handle shape, though. Neither one (about a year apart) felt good in my hand with the concave shape to the handle. I'm used to handles that I can feel all along my palm and the SM didn't give me that. That's entirely personal and subjective. Some people love the handles, I'm just not one of them. And if I don't *feel* a knife when I'm holding it, that's a deal-breaker for me.

All in all... I would consider it to be a nice knife in the $150 range, as Comeuppance has already stated.

Last edited:
Glad I held off then. I always wondered what it was that made this one worth the price, now I know that it's not really. I'll watch for one on the second hand market after I find my Neutron.

Id much rather have the neutron, in orange please. They need to take more orders soon, but I know that to get quality product they can't go doing mass production.

I like the Spider Monkey a lot.

Steel is done right, carbon fiber is great, the ergos are solid.

The short clip is nice in that it doesn't get in the way of your grip on the handles.

I find it worth the money, some don't. There are great prices to be had for one if you keep your eye on the exchange.

I've owned 2 bad monkeys. Both have been great blades and the one that had a lock up issue was fixed in 2 days and was shipped back to me in the same day. I'd recommend a southern grind product any day. They stand behind their product and respond quickly in my experience.

One of the big reasons you hear differing opinions on the Spider Monkey is because of when they were made. The first 2 runs of Spider Monkeys were not great. They had some lock up issues, were not smooth and the detents were often weak. They got enough feedback and bad reviews online that they made the right adjustments. Ever since then they have been great. So if you have one of the first year or so models you might have been disappointed. After that they have been dialed in very nicely. While some consider the price point a bit high, I think you need to consider everything about the knife. Carbon Fiber handles, titanium liners, S35VN, and made in the USA. I think their price point is right in line. It also does not hurt that a large percentage of the profits from every Southern Grind Knife go to fund Camp Southern Ground, which is a camp that gives special needs children of all types, a chance to have the summer camp experience. Check it out, it is pretty amazing!

One of the big reasons you hear differing opinions on the Spider Monkey is because of when they were made. The first 2 runs of Spider Monkeys were not great. They had some lock up issues, were not smooth and the detents were often weak. They got enough feedback and bad reviews online that they made the right adjustments. Ever since then they have been great. So if you have one of the first year or so models you might have been disappointed. After that they have been dialed in very nicely. While some consider the price point a bit high, I think you need to consider everything about the knife. Carbon Fiber handles, titanium liners, S35VN, and made in the USA. I think their price point is right in line. It also does not hurt that a large percentage of the profits from every Southern Grind Knife go to fund Camp Southern Ground, which is a camp that gives special needs children of all types, a chance to have the summer camp experience. Check it out, it is pretty amazing!
I did not know that they ran a camp like that. That's pretty cool, and will make me seriously reconsider buying one from them directly when I recover from my recent buying spree. I'm a sucker for companies that do stuff like that.

I always thought that when the bad monkey came out it should've had the same blade style and steel as the spider monkey, and for under 175 they are well made knives I always thought like many others that the price is too out of line...

LOL I just realized who you are whitty whitty . It was actually one of the ones on your site I was looking at, the copper one with blue ano'd liners. If I buy from you, does the same donation thing happen?

Back