Spirit Blade

I don't want to start another Shiva Ki debate,just want to show you guys what I got.This one I got with the express intent of doing some cutting and chopping with it.I never seem to bring my camera along for the festivities,but I've carved up a lot of cardboard boxes,a couple of turkeys(cooked,sliced the meat clean and chopped through the bones with no problems)I did a push-cut through a couple of paperback books about 2 inches thick(saw someone do that in a previous thread...I believe it was oleyfermo)it went through the book with surprising(to me anyhow) ease.Hacked through half a dozen or so tree limbs up to about 3 inch or so diameter,chopped a couple 2x4's in half.It's still shaving sharp,so it appears Shiva Ki can put a great edge on a blade.I plan on having more cutting fun with this one,and if i remember the camera,will post pics of the action.
This knife I got second hand...it has the samurai steel and is also clay tempered.The blade is just over 11 inches,and overall its 17.5 inches.Handle is cocoblo,with rayskin wrapped in raw Japanese silk.The handle ergonomics are really great,especially when swinging it hard to get through the big stuff,never slipped or felt as if it was uncomfortable,anyway heres a few pics,I really like this knife.

site1089.jpg

site1090.jpg

site1091.jpg

Habber,
Congratulations.:thumbup:
Looking forward to more of your impressions on that awesome Spirit's cutting ability.
Love the picture of the Beast and the Spirit together.
Congrats on your Hanson/Hogstrom as well. :thumbup:

Doug

Looks great!

Do you have a pic from the top of the handle?

Nice blade, but I am really disapointed with the fit and finish. What I like the most, however, is the handle shape.

The finish is definitely not done to the highest level I have seen by any means, but I do not see any problem with the fit.

I believe the finish to be stained from use.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Habber,
Was talking to Shiva earlier and he said to let ya' know that particular blade was made about 3 years ago,it was one of the first Spirit blades he made.
And also to tell you congratulations on the Hanson/Hogstrom.:)

Doug

I believe the finish to be stained from use.
There are definetely stains from use....I haven't got any pics from when I first got the knife,but there is surely some discolorationfrom use,especially when cutting the meat.
What I like the most, however, is the handle shape.

The handle ergonomics are awesome...this is a truly comfortable knife to use.It really is a fantastic design,and makes it easy to put all you have into it.
I didn't get any time to get more pics today...but will get them up soon.

Is that line on the blade a hamon? Does it intersect the cutting edge near the belly there or is that just some discoloration?

The finish is definitely not done to the highest level I have seen by any means, but I do not see any problem with the fit.

Correct... I guess that I used the two words together without thinking, as we usualy put them together.. just didn´t pay attention to what I was typing (those are the times I realize I need a longer weekend...:rolleyes: )

Seeing the new pictures made me wonder how long is the handle.... looks like it´s six inches or so and that the hand slides down towards it´s bottom (?)

Is that line on the blade a hamon? Does it intersect the cutting edge near the belly there or is that just some discoloration?

It is a Hamon,it looks as if it is close to the edge,but I don't believe it intersects it.
Seeing the new pictures made me wonder how long is the handle.... looks like it´s six inches or so and that the hand slides down towards it´s bottom (?)
The handle is 6.25 inches.I like to hold it with my hand down at the bottom,I have seen pics on Shiva Ki's site someone cutting rope and his grip is a bit more towards the top of the handle.It is a secure grip and your hand won't slide down when using it if you choose to choke up on the handle.(not sure if that's what you meant)

Humm... now I don´t think tha handle design is that good anymore, though it is still a nice handle.

I like smaller handles, up to 5.25 inches. But that´s just my taste though.
I was thinking about the overal design and realized that´s why Shiva uses the braid on the handle, so your hand won´t slide if you choose to hold the handle closer to the guard for more controlled use of the knife. The bigger handle gives leverage I presume... and it might be somehow related to Mr. Beaucant´s taste for 6" handles, wich I never really understood.

Hard to say wish one influenced the other. Very interesting thanks for showing us.

Back