Spirograph Nakiri WIP.

Im gona do a mini WIP on this one. Its my take on a Nakiri.

Randy Jr forged me this kick butt billet of Spirograph damascus a few months back. and I have been trying to figure out what pattern blade to make that would really show off the pattern of the damascus, A few guys on the board made some suggestions and after doing some research, I settled on a Nakiri.

This will have a western/Wa handle Ala Delbert Ealy (I asked him if I could try his method and he graciously said I could) Hope I do it justice.

The specs so far.

OAL 358mm or 14 1/8 inches.
BLADE 210mm or 8 3/8 inches
Thickness 2.5mm ish Thinking I may surface grind this down to about 2mm Open to suggestions.
Heel height 56mm or 2 3/16 inches. tapering slightly to50mm one inch behind the front of the blade.
Handle will be 130mm ish long with the front at 24mm and the back tapering to 28mm

This is my first attempt at this pattern blade and I gota say, It went against every fiber in my being to not have a tip or a point on this.. lol Yet after looking at hundreds of pictures and reading everything I can find about the knife. I had to give it a try!

So far I have the Blade Heat treated and rough profiled. I may still make some minor changes to the profile to make the knife better, and am open to suggestions. Currently it feels good on the board, with a very gentle roll from the front to the heel.

Attachments

• Whats on the bench 035.jpg
    Whats on the bench 035.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Whats on the bench 042.jpg
    Whats on the bench 042.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Whats on the bench 009.jpg
    Whats on the bench 009.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
Made some progress on this today. I ground the main bevels and have the blade hand rubbed and etched ready for handles!!!

Thanks Len and everyone for the info and pics and stuff! Made a huge difference on the grind..

Here are a few pics of the progress.

Heres a shot of the tip, What ya think? thin enough???? Yea, I know my hands are dirty, I wouldnt want it any other way!! lol

Attachments

• Spirograph WIP Nakiri 006.jpg
    Spirograph WIP Nakiri 006.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Spirograph WIP Nakiri 009.jpg
    Spirograph WIP Nakiri 009.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 45
  • Spirograph WIP Nakiri 012.jpg
    Spirograph WIP Nakiri 012.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Spirograph WIP Nakiri 031.jpg
    Spirograph WIP Nakiri 031.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 27
Finished this one today. Ill try and get better pics and specs up tomorrow. But till then here are a few pictures of what I came up with.

Attachments

• Nakiri WIP handle 034.jpg
    Nakiri WIP handle 034.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Nakiri WIP handle 029.jpg
    Nakiri WIP handle 029.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Nakiri WIP handle 008.jpg
    Nakiri WIP handle 008.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 39
  • Nakiri WIP handle 012.jpg
    Nakiri WIP handle 012.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Nakiri WIP handle 018.jpg
    Nakiri WIP handle 018.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 29
Nice work!
You might also want to show it in the knife makers section.
What wood did you use?

Thanks guys.

OK, Let me first say, This is the thinnest and sharpest knife I have ever ground!! Yep. Im really proud of this one, from the steel to the grind to the handles. Its just as perfect of a example of our work as any knife I have made!!! I hope this makes sense.. without sounding cocky or anything.. lol

I measured this one by first measuring the main things like OAL and Blade length, Handle and spine stuff.. Then I measured the blade at 3 points in the middle of the flats. Then again in the same 3 spots a smidge above the final bevels. First at heel, second near the midway point between the heel and tip, and finally just behind the tip.

OAL 14 1/6" : 385mm'
Blade 8 1/4" : 210mm... 55mm high at the heel, tapering to 46mm 1" inch behind the tip.
Handle 5" : 127mm at longest. 20mm thick : 24mm tapering to 27mm high.

Spine above the heel, then halfway between heel and edge, and then just above the edge. measured at heel midway then at tip.

2.2mm, 1.9mm, .81mm At spine
1.6mm, 1.1mm, .70mm Mid way
.33mm, .29mm, .24mm Above the cutting edge. Just for fun I took the edge measurement at the tip and converted it to inches.. Its ridiculous. lol .009" Thats CRAZY thin!! And thats above the sharpening bevel.

The handles are Stabilized Buckeye burl with copper pins and vulcanized spacers. Inspired by handles that I seen in the Fish thread..

attachment.php

Attachments

• feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 051.jpg
    feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 051.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 153
  • feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 053.jpg
    feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 053.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4
  • feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 054.JPG
    feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 054.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 6
  • feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 066.jpg