'Splain me about swivel knife blades

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Chris 54326, Nov 20, 2020 at 10:27 PM.

1. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Bought my first swivel knife today. (entry level Tandy) Not planning on doing a lot of swivel work, but might need it from time to time. Knife came with standard 3/8" wide, thick blade. Bevels were completely unusable and was like dragging a bastard file through the leather..............but since sharpening and polishing are my "thing", they are now perfect mirrors. Okay, that's behind me. Messed with it a little bit and it cuts like a hot knife through room temp butter.

But I need some educating and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. What are the individual purposes of narrower blades, thinner blades, angled blades and hollow ground blades? I'm sure it has to do with more than just personal preference.

2. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I bought the Pro swivel knife and it cuts great. It just felt so much nicer in my hand than the cheaper one. I just strop the blade before I use it and after I am finished using it. I guess the smaller and narrower blades are just for more delicate work. The larger blades will make a wider cut. But I am not an expert.

3. Robber58

Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    There are lots of carving styles and designs so there are a lot of different blades. The hollow ground blades (generally wide) are simply to ease sharpening. The blade you got is best for long straight lines or sweeping curves. The width factors into how wide the cut will open which affects both appearance and ease of beveling. Smaller figures or more detailed figures (such as animal leg or eyes)s need to have thinner blades tp permit the fine cuts needed to successfully carve and bevel very small, fine details. The angled blades make it a bit simpler to cut tight arcs although it can be done with straight blades with practice. They can also be used for filigree along with the vary narrow blades.
    Randy

Chris 54326 likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Yes the different blades make different cuts. We have two Barry King ones. One with a smaller 1/4" blade and the other with a 3/8" blade. The bigger blade cuts well....bigger and bolder and deeper. The smaller blade is better for tighter curves and more finesse. I will use both doing oak carving. On carlos border stamping I use the larger to cut the channels. My wife only uses the small one for her flower carving.

duramax and Chris 54326 like this.
  5. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Thanks guys. What you say makes sense to me. Going to try my hand at it today. I'll see what happens. :rolleyes:

6. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    I just posted in the "Whatcha been up to" thread about the results of my first swivel knife session. Based on the feather I carved, I think I want a thinner blade. Just seemed as if I couldn't make some of the cuts in a fluid manner with the thick blade. Could be wrong, but that's how it felt. I also noticed the appearance of my cuts was much different than the cuts I see being made in videos. I don't know if that's because they are using more narrow blades or because the bevel angle is different. Seems as if my cuts are far wider than those I've observed.

As I mentioned in the previously mentioned thread, I'm reasonably happy with my first trial. When I get it finished I'll post a picture.

Horsewright likes this.
  7. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Some folks say to practice doing the cursive alphabet.

8. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    My cursive is so poor that wouldn't be helpful at all. I've had to print all my life because of my poor cursive. :(

Anywho, here's my first shot at it. Let the critique begin...........I'm here to learn!

[​IMG]

Little wife wanted to use it as a key fob, so drilled a hole.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 3:45 PM
    Ebbtide likes this.