Splitting Leather?

I need to split some 10oz veg tanned leather. Is tehre a way to do this without having a special tool or machine?

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob!

I don't know of an easy way to get a uniform split on anything very wide or very long without a splitter. I have a Landis hand crank that takes up to 5 3/4 inches width and length is not an issue. I can achieve any thickness I want with it. Five or six inches of strap leather like 1 or 1 1/2 inches wide could be done with a skiving knife or a "skife" tool but you need to go slow and take little bites until you get the hang of it. Even then if uniformity is a big issue you may not get saisfactory results. The other alternative is to use a pull through splitter which I don't like because it is very difficult to get a unifrom split and they are way expensive for the quality split I am able to achieve. Others may find them okay in every respect. Tandy among others sell the pull through "professional" splitter which, based on my ability, is nothing more than an oversized lap skiver.

Paul

I have one of those little "pro" splitters and yes it is a pain in the neck to work with, but it does a good skive. Belts and straps are a cinch with it as well. If it stays sharp long enough.

Some Tandy's and The Leather Factory have a splitter that they will either let you use, or split for you for a nominal fee or free depending on the manager.

I need to split some 10oz veg tanned leather.
I am wondering if you had any luck finding someone to help you with your splitting needs? I have been in the business for almost 40 years and I was just told that I was no longer going to be able to get 3 31/2 oz yellow latigo and this is horrible news for me. I have no problems getting 9/10 oz but I am going to need to find someone who has at least a six foot band splitter that will split some hides down for me from either 9/10 or 6/7 oz to the 3-3 1/2 oz yesterday so to speak.

I live on Whidbey Island which is just North of Seattle. If you have any ideas please let me know! Thanks so much.

Andrew
Ace Leather Goods Inc.
www.aceleathergoods.com
blackfiretruck@hotmail.com
360-221-5521

Back