Sportsmen speak out....what do you want to see?

What do you guys want to see from ROS Arms? Who here hunts and fishes and what do you hunt/fish for?

I'd like to see the Stalker model with micarta slab handles, full tang, and 4mm thick blade. A sheath which can be strapped to backpack straps

I would like to see something with a 3-4 inch blade. The blade to be about an inch and a half or so wide. About and 1/8th of an inch thick with a trailing bowie blade shape. I would like for it to have an integral guard, like on fred perrin knives. Handle to be fairly straight with nice wood scales. VG-10 for the steel type.

Accompanied by a leather sheath and that would be my dream knife. :thumbup:

Integral guard most likely wont happen. I wont say never but Russian knife laws are very complicated about the knife having any type of guard at all.

You guys are all giving great suggestions and these are things I intend to address when I submit the final draft of a design I have been working on.

You really dont need full tang on these blades, that is like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. A lot of people like to see it though and I understand.

We will just have to see what we can come up with......;)

DombayWalnut.jpg

What about this Red Edge? Something close to what you are describing?

John

Hahahaha, actually that was basically what I was thinking. I really like that handle. Instead of the bowie like that I would like it more upswept with a little more belly on it. :D

The integral guard isn't that important really. :p

I'd like to see the Stalker model with micarta slab handles, full tang, and 4mm thick blade. A sheath which can be strapped to backpack straps

Sookie have you used the Stalker yet or held one? I am just curious. We hve discussed opening custom shop here in USA and importing finished blades but that is NOT anything certain yet.

The Stalker works great like it is for a hunting knife. As to the scabbard we can have one made for you no problem.

Thanks for the input. :)

Hey Red Edge...how about now?? lol

russian-3leatherandnodule_filtered.jpg

What if I could get you this blade with the handle from the bowie style?

Hi, yes I've got a stalker, plus many others, and I'll be selling them as a dealer in Canada soon, (Bladeworks.ca).
Thank you very much for the offer of the sheath! The stalker isn't mine, it's inventory, (although I wish it were mine...with my changes of course).

The stalker is an excellent design and perfect as it stands for hunting. But I don't hunt much; I build trails, I mountain bike and I'm generally in the bush a lot in all conditions. I share space with cougars and bears, and the biggest threat to myself- me! I carry a knife to get out of a jam. I'd like it to be a rosarms knife, but it's a Fallkniven A1. Well, and a folding knife for 95% of what I need a knife for.

The reason a slab handled knife sells well is because it cannot be beat for durability. Partnered with an impermeable handle material such as micarta, it's a tool one can depend on no matter what. A broken handle can just be wrapped, and should be available as a hammer if nothing else is at hand. Add to that a thick enough blade stock, and you have a 'survival' knife. A brutish tool that can do more than cut. I think the defining feature of a well designed survival knife is its ability to take the abuse of being thrown. If it can't survive an impact of a significant magnitude, I don't think you could trust your life on it.

Rosarms knives are indeed the most beautiful and have the best feeling handles of any production fixed blade knives I've come across.
But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for a nomatterwhattrustyourasswiththis knife from Rosarms. Busse is making a killing with that kind of blade.
The stalker blade length, width and grind are a great starting point for a knife like that. And I'm sure it's a stretch, but a plastic sheath is not a bad idea either.
The steel rosarms uses has impressed me, (my taiga holds and takes a very fine, shiny edge), as has the quality of manufacturing and the history of the company. But, as always with anything, there is room for variety.

Have you looked at the new Baby design Sookie? I would indeed bet my ass on that knife or a taiga.

We are working to get a more "Americanized" knife made, but makers dont always like change. We will see when the next big order comes in how much more progress we have made in this endeavor.

In the meantime any ideas you have please feel free to post.

I have an aluminum baby, again not mine, and it is an awesome nife. I really like it. In its case the serrations add functionality. However, it is really big, and my answer to the post's question is a blade length of no more than 6 inches. The knife I envision must be light and small enough to carry easily. That little skinning knife, (beaver?) has slab handles, so maybe there is some room to expand on that.
Whatever the case, Rosarms knives kick ass. I think they're all great, and they have their own niche. Unfortunately, business success on this continent has much to do with mimickry, and less to do with innovation. 'Stealing' others' ideas if you have enough capital to make it fly often determines ones' success in this market unfortunately.

Our "Ray" knife also has slab handles and is larger than the Beaver skinner. We have a couple of ideas that may become reality, we will see.

oh and the russian bayonet is also a good starting point...

For a hunting/skinning knife;

Blade: 4" drop point blade (NO sharpened clip) with a deep belly (1.5"-2" wide) and a choil large enough for my index finger.

Handle: I look for three things: grip, grip, grip. I prefer at least one finger groove (3-4 is great, but I can appreciate how hard it is to fit to individual hands on a mass-produced knife).
My hunting knives are frequently covered in blood, so they must be able to give me a good, precise grip when wet, and be easy to clean up.

Finally, the overall shape of the knife should be a gentle convex curve. I find such a shape to be more natural when using than a straight, or convex shape.

For reference; the best hunting knife I have ever handled (to date) is a Gerber model 400. That type of knife (4" drop point blade, wood handle with finger grooves) is, for me, the ideal hunting/skinning knife.

In the meantime any ideas you have please feel free to post.

How about a nice set of kitchen cutlery? Or at least a set of a "steak knifes"?
I know, it's not your specialty, but that would be a real hot product, IMHO!:)

Yes it is a good idea, but...
what type of kitchen knives do you prefer - flexible (European and American type) or solid forged (Japanese or oriental style)?
we cannot make flexible knives, only forged.
So what do you think?

Well, i believe, it's more about the stile, and the quality of materials, and craftsmanship! I do have some japanese knifes, and germans knifes, and actually i like japan approach a little better!
It doesn't really matter, IMHO if it's flexible or not, as long as it's razor sharp, fits the common stiles, and a good quality....just an opinion!:)

agree for 100% I think I will have to push Russia a little. I hope will come up with some new designs next year. Thanx

Straight back drop point Bowie with a blood groove and a smaller version of the same thing with a 4.5" blade. Also with some kind of handle that does not get slippery covered in blood. Maybe even offered in a set. You have some that are very close. MV out!

Back