• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How To Spotting a fake

I just bought a combat tradoon microtech knife. I'm trying to see if it is real or not. Mine has no serial number, but I read somewhere from a specific year(of which I forgot) they didn't have serial numbers. It weighs 4.5 ounces. And just a second ago I noticed the big one so far. The box it was given to me in has the 25th anniversary logo on it date was 2019. On my actual knife, the date is 06/2023. That's when I really figured it a fake. Do a lot of boxes carry that logo and date on them, even years after? I hope someone can help me. Thank you for all your wisdom in this matter. I been trying to add pictures but don't seem to know how if it's even possible.

I just bought a combat tradoon microtech knife. I'm trying to see if it is real or not. Mine has no serial number, but I read somewhere from a specific year(of which I forgot) they didn't have serial numbers. It weighs 4.5 ounces. And just a second ago I noticed the big one so far. The box it was given to me in has the 25th anniversary logo on it date was 2019. On my actual knife, the date is 06/2023. That's when I really figured it a fake. Do a lot of boxes carry that logo and date on them, even years after? I hope someone can help me. Thank you for all your wisdom in this matter. I been trying to add pictures but don't seem to know how if it's even possible.
I just re weighed it now it reads 7.5 ounces. It seems my scale is way off. I did the nickel test and it's calibrated. Wonder if I try it again in lil bit if it will change again.lol

Not sure if this is the place for this, you might have better luck in the automatic knives forum.

I can't help with the serial number thing, but I find it odd that your knife is dated but doesn't have a serial number. A knife made in June of last year would not have come in a box from 2019 from the factory, but if you purchased on the secondary market it's possible for boxes to get switched around/mismatched so maybe you just got the wrong box. Pictures would go a long way in determining whether it's real or not.

I think Microtech advertises them at 5.4oz but if your scale isn't reading the same item at the same weight (within reason, not several ounces) each time I don't think it is a reliable reference.

I just re weighed it now it reads 7.5 ounces. It seems my scale is way off. I did the nickel test and it's calibrated. Wonder if I try it again in lil bit if it will change again.lol
Not sure if this is the place for this, you might have better luck in the automatic knives forum.

I can't help with the serial number thing, but I find it odd that your knife is dated but doesn't have a serial number. A knife made in June of last year would not have come in a box from 2019 from the factory, but if you purchased on the secondary market it's possible for boxes to get switched around/mismatched so maybe you just got the wrong box. Pictures would go a long way in determining whether it's real or not.

I think Microtech advertises them at 5.4oz but if your scale isn't reading the same item at the same weight (within reason, not several ounces) each time I don't think it is a reliable reference.
I can’t figure out how to post pics on here. It’s my first time on here. I will try again to post pictures

I can’t figure out how to post pics on here. It’s my first time on here. I will try again to post pictures
You'll have to use a photo hosting site - I use imgur - I'll post a link to a tutorial in a minute

Back