Spring into Spring with a "Barlow a Day for Thirty Days"

Great challenge! But I'll have to be a voyeur on the sidelines.....can't be relied on to post every day and to be honest I've been culling my Barlow stock for some while and there's more to do ;)

Looking forward to the pix. But I hope it's OK if I'm an occasional / unreliable poster ? Here's evidence:

393oVVu.jpg

Here is my only 77 I went out in the rain to take a photo just for you. 😁

It is a perfect size,weight and style for the pocket (just like me,except for the pocket bit 😅)

You know I like to theme/coordinate my knives with music,here you go with what was called bagpipe guitar back in the day.

Note the bunnys in the background.

Note the bunnys in the background.

Somehow, I missed this thread yesterday until late last night.

There was a time when I'd buy a knife & carry it for months or even years, until I either lost it, or broke it. Now, except for a Alox Pioneer that I've been carrying every day for two years, carrying the same knife for a month is a challenge for me. Carrying some Barlows for thirty days shouldn't be a problem, though. I'm a day late, but count me in.

And for no particular reason, this is the first one I grabbed:
Image.jpg

Great challenge! But I'll have to be a voyeur on the sidelines.....can't be relied on to post every day and to be honest I've been culling my Barlow stock for some while and there's more to do ;)

Looking forward to the pix. But I hope it's OK if I'm an occasional / unreliable poster ? Here's evidence:

393oVVu.jpg
Please forgive my asking ...
1) Do you know about when it was made? I'm guessing it isn't a Queen made, and dates to pre-1930's.

2) How can you not tote such a beautiful classic all your waking moments since you got it? 🤯😳
Truth be spoken, I'd have difficulty not 'totin it.
(full disclosure: Same for any pre-Queen Russell Barlow that isn't used up ... or an early USA made Robeson Barlow, for that matter. 🥰)

Somehow, I missed this thread yesterday until late last night.

There was a time when I'd buy a knife & carry it for months or even years, until I either lost it, or broke it. Now, except for a Alox Pioneer that I've been carrying every day for two years, carrying the same knife for a month is a challenge for me. Carrying some Barlows for thirty days shouldn't be a problem, though. I'm a day late, but count me in.

And for no particular reason, this is the first one I grabbed:
View attachment 2504165
14? 15?
Nice looking Barlow.
I know what you mean about carrying the same knife (excluding a SAK, in my case a Ruby/Transluscent Red Huntsman, from November, 2000 (an early Christmas present from my then boss) to 2020, when it was lost somehow in my (likely) last move. I got a replacement Huntsman in 2023, and have been carrying it every day since.) for years until worn out, lost, or broken.
I was the same way. Only had two or three pocket knives and a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT which were carried every day, including to school (was legal and expected back then, and to Church (if/when I attended).

My second Inkosi (Large Magnacut red linen micarta)
53482631749_c537b08bc3_b.jpg

14? 15?
Nice looking Barlow.
I know what you mean about carrying the same knife (excluding a SAK, in my case a Ruby/Transluscent Red Huntsman, from November, 2000 (an early Christmas present from my then boss) to 2020, when it was lost somehow in my (likely) last move. I got a replacement Huntsman in 2023, and have been carrying it every day since.) for years until worn out, lost, or broken.
I was the same way. Only had two or three pocket knives and a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT which were carried every day, including to school (was legal and expected back then, and to Church (if/when I attended).
That's a 15. I'm partial to two bladed Barlows, because that's the only kind I remember having as a kid, but I do have a few with a single blade.

For Day 2 ............. my old KA-BAR-LO. I actually find myself toting it pretty often. It has the pen behind the main and is very thin for a two bladed Barlow. I also find that I enjoy the very smooth opening blades, which don't have half stops, to be a pleasure and easy on my thumb-nail. I use it to cut most things, but, not so much for heavy cutting chores. As good or better than new walk and talk. I like the look of it as well. 😊

_T8P5852 Smallv2.jpg

_T8P5687 Smallv2.jpg

Day 2

Cabbage anyone? 400# of cabbage? The Barlow probably isnt very proficient at cleaning and cutting these, but its great at opening the bags.
View attachment 2504177

Day two will be my favorite Barlow. (I only have three). Another A. Wright. This one is stag and has nice filework along with coin edge liners. Awesome. It doesn't have the gator snap of all my other wrights knives... Very light pull... Must have been a fluke. It works just fine.

20240221_080917-COLLAGE.jpg
Have a good day everyone.

Last edited:
For Day 2 ............. my old KA-BAR-LO. I actually find myself toting it pretty often. It has the pen behind the main and is very thin for a two bladed Barlow. I also find that I enjoy the very smooth opening blades, which don't have half stops, to be a pleasure and easy on my thumb-nail. I use it to cut most things, but, not so much for heavy cutting chores. As good or better than new walk and talk. I like the look of it as well. 😊

View attachment 2504180

View attachment 2504179
Very handsome Barlow!😎

Day 2:
Good morning! Same knife, different day 😅 I don't show the pile side of this knife off very often as it doesn't have the case xx bolster stamp. But, this side might have a bit of soup to it? I like this old pocket worn saw cut red bone either way!

Last edited:
I thought about this late last night and realized the thread would likely be better if I leave the start date open through this coming weekend. In other words, anyone can start their thirty days, up until the end of this coming Sunday. It would be helpful if all challenge acceptors would post the day they are on, such as Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc.

After Sunday ............ the fence sitters waited too long. 🤣

Great idea for a thread Mr P.

As a kid, I pretty much carried nothing but Barlows, because that's what Dad bought at the feed mill & hardware store, and my brothers & I would get his hand-me-downs. I've been on a stockman carrying binge for the past few years, and this gives me a chance to get some old friends out of the case, and touch up the edges & change the oil in the joints.

Back