Spring on Rolling Lock - Please Help My Carnivore

Hey forumites.

I saw that some of you changed your springs on various REKAT models to a lighter compression to keep the rolling lock from sticking open and toprovide a smoother opening. Did you do this by trimming it down by about 20%, or did some of you get a different spring?

I'm asking because my new Carnivore is a bit gritty and sticks open every 4th or 5th opening, meaning that I have to use a lot of force to push the release back. I took the knife apart and completely lubed it. I think that loosening the screws that go into the spacers helped too. Anyway, after all that lube, and I did the swing arm for the lock, the spring, the pivot, everything with Tuf Glide, and it still sticks open.

If I trim the spring, exactly how many coils should I take off? I'm hesitant to do this because I think the sticking will go away and I think the opening will smooth out after some cycling. Then I'll be left with a weak, unreliable spring. I'm thinking that REKAT made the compression of the spring a certain way with considerations of use and that modifying it will make it too weak once it has some wear on it and been compressed for a while.

Anyway, what do you think about trimming the spring and how much do I take off if it is a recommended action? I don't understand what people are talking about when they say they trimmed 20%, so maybe if you tell me about how many coils to remove my little brain will process the info better.
Also, mine is glued in. I should be able to trim it while it remains glued in, but if by some chance it comes off, or I need to pull it off, what kind of glue should I use to re-glue it?

Thanks guys!

BTW, I love my Carnivore. It is my EDC now, but damn my thumb is sore from trying to close it!

------------------
Jared Karr

I wouldn't touch the spring. And I don't think it has anything to do with that sticking problem. Anyone with me here?

I don't mean to be a smartass, but unless you know more about the knife than the 2 Bobs who designed it, please don't mess with the spring by cutting it!

A couple of MY REKATs were pretty stiff when I got 'em, but after "working" the lock release slide a couple hundred times, it has smoothed-out pretty well.

Also, what might help is to half-way open the blade (so that the knife is in the shape of an "L"), and let it sit that way overnight. That will give the compressed spring a "set" and will make it a little "shorter" without having to guess the amount of coils to cut-off.
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
<A HREF="mailto:glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com">glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com</A>
ICQ# 53675663

Don't cut the spring! If your knife is sticking, it's not because of the spring. My Sifu was sticky at first too, but after working it for a while it smoothed out. Your problem is not with the spring. There's not too much pressure from it, the knife just needs to be worked in. Cutting the spring could adversely affect lock reliability.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
This space for rent.

I would not do it. It's probably not what's causing the sticing of the lock, I have one that did it and a little polishing of the action, lubing and a couple hundred opening/closings took care of it quick fast and in a hurry.

Back