Spyderco bevel angle

I have a quick question for you all. I have a Spyderco Delica that needs its first touching up. I have a Lansky sharpening system and I am wondering what angle the factory bevel is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

It should be about 15 degrees per side, or 30 degrees included. They are sharpened by hand on a belt grinder, so the angle can vary a bit, but that is the target angle, and they are pretty consistent. I won't try to give you advice on using the Lansky since I threw mine away about 20 years ago.

Thanks for the input yablanowitz. I am looking at getting a Spyderco sharpmaker in the near future. I have had fair results with the Lansky system but not stellar. The two knives that I carry are a BM mini grip and the Delica,
I havent been able to duplicate the hair shaving edge that the mini grip came from the factory with hence my interest in the sharpmaker. Thanks for the info.

My BM mini Grip seems to keep the factory edge when sharpened at +/- 15 deg. per side. It sees more stroping than anything. Stroping really works.

I have a lanskey. It doesn't get some knives shaving sharp. I'm probably going to pick up the extra fine stone. But the secret to getting a knife shaving sharp , in my opinion, is stropping.

I can get most knives sharp enough to shave arm or leg hair without stropping, sharpening freehand on my DMT diamond hones. It takes a bit more care for coarse facial hair, which is where stropping makes things easier. The real secret is holding a consistant angle and using very light pressure.

Back