Spyderco blade movement

Why do Spyderco lock-backs have upward blade movement when cutting with downward pressure? I strictly use my PM2 with compression lock because I can't stand the 2 Delicas and 1 Endura that had this movement. I returned those 3 to Amazon on Friday through the UPS Store because I thought it was unacceptable. Does anyone else have the same experience with their lock-backs?

Why do Spyderco lock-backs have upward blade movement when cutting with downward pressure? I strictly use my PM2 with compression lock because I can't stand the 2 Delicas and 1 Endura that had this movement. I returned those 3 to Amazon on Friday through the UPS Store because I thought it was unacceptable. Does anyone else have the same experience with their lock-backs?
I think it’s pretty normal with those if you really crank down hard on them .
I also personally prefer the compression lock on the para 2 and para 3.

My lockback Spydies have all had a tiny bit of up-and-down play if I look for it, but never to the level that I notice it in actual use -- only while specifically checking for it.

My lockback Spydies have all had a tiny bit of up-and-down play if I look for it, but never to the level that I notice it in actual use -- only while specifically checking for it.
I feel the same way and because of that it doesn’t detour me from them although as mentioned I prefer the compression lock . I haven’t noticed it when using it either ,just handling it and looking for it.

I have/had 2 Delicas, 2 Enduras, 1 Dragonfly, and 1 Police and I never experience(d) ANY up and down bladeplay. Spyderco lockback is becoming one of my favorite locks: it is strong, makes the handle thin and symmetric, and keeps the blade securely in position whether opened or closed.

Yes, my Japanese lock backs have both up and down, and side to side play. It doesn’t bother me enough to get rid of them, but I’ve moved on from these old type lock backs.

I wouldn't worry about it, If you try hard enough, you can muscle a tiny bit of vertical movement in almost all lockbacks, even triad locks. It doesnt mean the lock is not made right or less safe, its still technically safer and more robust than liner, frame or compression locks simply because of the amount of metal that is engaged in the lock tang cutout and the angle of opposition that the lock engages at.

As opposed to liner/frame/compression where the failure point is dependent on a little spring tsnsion against a sloping lock ramp. In a lockback you'd have to sheer off a large amount of pure metal to get it to fail, and that just really doesnt happen even with some pretty abusive tasks if the lockback is made well. Lockbacks have this small play because there are rocking lever type parts pivoting against each other and its simply possible to muscle some small movement out of them, it doesn't mean it will fail tho.

Last edited:
My Native 5 LW doesn't have any up and down play, but my Endura 4 LW, past Dragonfly 2 LW, and my several Cara Cara 2 LWs have all had up and down play.

It bothered me until I decided to test (abuse) my Cara Cara 2 to see what it could handle. After the abuse, it had alot more play but still wouldn't defeat the lock in either direction. I would love to see the Tri-Ad lock used on Spyderco's back locks just because the addition of a stop pin helps to minimize wear and the up and down play.

I can handle a little up and down play in back locks. At least for now, its my preferred locking mechanism for it's simplicity, ambidexterity, strength, strong closed bias, and ability to fit so many designs and sizes.

Blade play is just going to end up being part of all lockback and slipjoint knives, eventually. How fast depends on a lot of things. For example, I have a Pingo that has quite a lot of movement. But its due to someone (and myself) attempting to adjust the pivot and rounding out the pivot hole in the plastic scale (I believe one side of the pivot screw pair has a flat) So that has added some slop. Plus the plastic handle is not exactly a high tolerance material. Woop-de-do. I can understand wanting secure lock up, and I can also understand using the stability of the blade as sort of a metric for overall tolerance control. However, unless it effects my actual use, I don't want that to be something that takes away joy of ownership.

I think that there are some realities that have to be faced in what we ask of knives at certain price points, and I am seeing a growing trend of expecting perfection, and I think its harmful in some ways because its obviously making guys not enjoy knives that they otherwise would.

Many lockbacks have a little play if muscled. However I have to add my experience; I had an endura purchased directly from the golden store that had vertical play when cutting twine. I eventually sold it, noting that it had play. It was really annoying to feel the blade move every time I cut anything of substance. All my other Spyderco frn knives have been acceptable.

Checked mine:

Two Delicas - tiiiiiny bit of up/down play when muscled(and I don't care)

Two Native lightweights - rock solid(improved backlock?).

:cool::thumbsup:

Back