Spyderco Caly 3.5 Superblue Forced Patina Showoff

Here are some pics of my first ever attempt of forcing a patina, an experiment which I performed on a brand new Spyderco Caly 3.5 Superblue sprint run. I did this yesterday using mustard and tomato juice over a few hours. The process was interesting since the patina develops primarily outwards from the boundaries of the drying mustard instead of underneath. Once I realized what was happening I started moving and removing the thick areas of mustard as I went. I applied the tomato juice several times after cleaning off the dried mustard to create the oily colors, at least I think that is what created those colors. In any case, it was a fun experiment and I'm pleased with the result. Now it goes into my pocket finally. Enjoy! :cool::thumbup::thumbup:

1-IMG_3816-001.JPG

2-IMG_3818-001.JPG

3-IMG_3825-001.JPG

4-IMG_3827-001.JPG

5-IMG_3833-001.JPG

6-IMG_3840-001.JPG

7-IMG_3841-001.JPG

8-IMG_3844-001.JPG

9-IMG_3846-001.JPG

Last edited:
very interesting, esp that mother-of-pearl effect! I think a white handle would make it pop even more,

Jesse, that is pretty damn sweet! I'm picturing that patina with a polished edge, that thing would pop!

Great work,
Dan

found out that same thing when putting a patina on my mora, only I learned the hard way lol. great job on that knife, really something special now

This was my first time trying a full vinegar immersion. It came out even, but I have been using it since then.

ba43c519.jpg

b51de684.jpg

The the OP.....MAN! That turned out beautifully. Looks like it would be a great user, but honestly I would get some custom scales as well to really make that knife pop! Regardless of the fact, that is one of the nicest forced patina's I've seen (IMO).

^Yes, but it is not loose play. The entire mechanism shifts slightly when up/down pressure is applied.

Most lock backs have this kind of play in my experience, even Spyderco's.

Fascinating. Looks like damascus.

Here are some pics of my first ever attempt of forcing a patina, an experiment which I performed on a brand new Spyderco Caly 3.5 Superblue sprint run. I did this yesterday using mustard and tomato juice over a few hours. The process was interesting since the patina develops primarily outwards from the boundaries of the drying mustard instead of underneath. Once I realized what was happening I started moving and removing the thick areas of mustard as I went. I applied the tomato juice several times after cleaning off the dried mustard to create the oily colors, at least I think that is what created those colors. In any case, it was a fun experiment and I'm pleased with the result. Now it goes into my pocket finally. Enjoy! :cool::thumbup::thumbup:

1-IMG_3816-001.JPG

2-IMG_3818-001.JPG

3-IMG_3825-001.JPG

4-IMG_3827-001.JPG

5-IMG_3833-001.JPG

6-IMG_3840-001.JPG

7-IMG_3841-001.JPG

8-IMG_3844-001.JPG

9-IMG_3846-001.JPG

^Yes, but it is not loose play. The entire mechanism shifts slightly when up/down pressure is applied.

Most lock backs have this kind of play in my experience, even Spyderco's.

same with mine...I know it's normal, but I do have a caly CF with no play at all:redface:

Thanks for the positive comments! I am really pleased with the way it came out and I have developed a tendency to leave the knife open so I can admire the blade. I was so excited that I showed a few people in person and (cringe) I have been pretty shocked to hear a some of them tell me the blade looks dirty or rusty! I assume they just have no sense of style. :)

I'd love to see more pictures of other people's natural or forced patinas, especially on the Caly 3.5 Superblue.

Cheers :thumbup::thumbup:

By the way, my Caly 3.5 superblue does have a small amount of blade play if you push hard back against the lock spring. However, the amount of play is in line with my other Caly's and I think it is perfectly normal, even on the low side. Blade play has long been one of my pet peeves but I love the Caly design so much that right back at the beginning when I got my original Caly 3 I decided not to worry about the (very small amount of) vertical play against the spring and it has never bothered me since. It doesn't affect functionality in the least on small knives like these, and the lock is still strong. Now, if it was side-to-side play it might be a different story.

I'm trying to figure out where the play comes from, the pivot or the lockbar pivot or the lockbar's length ? just a pet peeve for me as well, love the knife!

Very late to the party here I know, but that patina looks fantastic. Also, none of the 10+ spyderco back-locks I've had or have have any blade watsoever, none in any direction.

Just got my GB in yesterday, and after a lot of anticipation and reading up, out of the box and straight to the bowl of vinegar. Before and after pics:
14601216040_c52426e7f2_c.jpg

14807762353_cc0043cc7b_c.jpg

Back