Spyderco Caly 3.5 ZDP-189 Carbonfiber

Anyone own one of these Caly 3.5 ZDP-189 Carbon fiber handle folder?
How is the ZDP-189 Steel? And if you were to compare this Steel to the paramilitary 2 steel, how does it fare? Any input of this knife would be appreciated~

I own one. The edge retention might be a touch better on zdp but the rust resistance seems to be slightly lower than s30v. In my experience zdp holds hair shaving edge longer.
Hope this helps

The CF/ZDP Caly 3.5 is one of my favorite Spydercos. Here's a few reasons why:

ZDP combined with the Caly edge geometry makes one incredible slicer, maybe one of the best out there.
Seems to stay sharp indefinitely, as long as you don't abuse it.
There's an amazing amount of blade packed into that slim, compact handle.
The knife pretty much disappears in your pocket, especially eith the low profile wire clip.
The CF scales and laminated blade are really elegant and beautiful.
Compared to S30v ZDP will be harder with a bit less toughness. It will stay sharp much longer, take slightly more time to sharpen and be slightly more prone to staining.
If you have large hands you might find the handle a bit cramped. It doesn't bother me as I carry my Caly when I specifically want the smallest possible package with maximum blade length.

Last edited:
Get one, you won't regret it. One of the if not the easiest carrying knives I have ever owned.

The Caly series is one of the best lines of pocket knives ever.
Ergonomics set the standard for me to judge others upon.

ZDP-189 is also a phenomenal steel that will hold high sharpness through a lot of cutting use.

Opps, I previously commented about a feature on another knife. Had to edit this post because of that reason.

Last edited:
Very slim and supple in the pocket. SpeedHoles is dead on when it comes to ergos. Blade is utterly useful, particularly for an everyday-carry slicer. If your not of the tactical Timmy type and embrace the notion that a pocket knife is a tool, it's hard to beat the Caly 3.5 series in any steal, though I prefer it in SuperBlue. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Back