Spyderco Calypso Jr. - Loving it.

Received my Calypso Jr. a few days back and am preparing a nice review, but I was wondering if there are any similar knives (blade geometry, size) that you guys love just as much as your Calypsos.

I've already got two more on the way and before I have a smoking hole in my wallet :rolleyes:, and a small mound of Calypsos on my bed, :D I'd figure I'd ask you guys for suggestions.

ps. I've already got a Cricket!

A Calypso Jr. is in my near future as well. I love a well designed flat grind blade in a good steel. I haven't got either, but the Native III and Delica are both well thought of by Spydie fans. Also, BM fans praise the mini-Griptillian. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Spyderco is on the brink of releasing the Para-Military, a scaled down (3"?) version of its great Military folder. Will undoubtedly be superb.

In all honesty, there's nothing quite like the Calypso, as far as putting it all together as a relatively-inexpensive gentleman's scalpel. The Calypso jr. is one knife that's hrard to replace.

Joe

For the price it is definately the best small folders out there.
In fact, price aside it is still one of my favourite small folders, nothing cuts quite like it :)

I just replaced my edc M2 mini afck pe with the pe calypso jr to give it a try.
I also always carrythe calypso jr with the spyder edge.I loved the afck jr and its cutting ability but thought I would give the calypso jr at least a try since its lighter and cuts like a demon also.

I had to pick one up too. Great little knife! I had to reprofile the edge and thin it out even more. It's stupid sharp now. :)

Here's some eye candy:

calypsojr.jpg

sharper? mine came so sharp that my roomate tried to shave hair on his arm and discovered blood running down his arm a couple minutes later.

Also look at the ss pe dragonfly. I have mine "sharp enough"...

sandpaper on the flats, slight convex on the edge... doesn't shave, but watch the fingers.

my custom has the same level of sharpness on it, after tweaking.

Originally posted by love4steel
sharper? mine came so sharp that my roomate tried to shave hair on his arm and discovered blood running down his arm a couple minutes later.

Then he must have not been doing something right. :) A factory edge can almost always be made sharper.

Back