Spyderco Ceramic Sharpener Wear, or Steel Residue?

I have the Sharpmaker and I've come to really hate cleaning the rods, sticks, whatever they're called. I put some powdered Ajax on a scouring pad and try to clean them, but there are some streaks on the gray ceramic stones I'm not sure about. They seem too light to be steel residue (they also don't come off), so are these marks wear? I haven't actually used them that much, but I'm curious. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks!

SpydercoSharpmaker.jpg

I don't have a sharpmaker yet, but those streaks look like steel to me.
I have a second-hand benchstone that has very similar streaks. One streak looks like a piece of molten metal dripped on the stone, and I haven't been able to get it off.
Now I'm sure my Dad didn't melt steel onto the stone, it's just the result of a lot of dust from many sharpenings, friction and time.

This is a very unexpert opinion, maybe someone will tell you not to do this, but if you are having a big problem with those streaks, either because they have loaded up the rods, or for "cleanfreaky purposes," just get some barkeeper's friend and scrub them down. My 6th grade English teacher would be happy with that last run-on sentence by the way.

It's just steel. I have problems taking the stuff off myself. But then again, I don't care as long as it feels like it's cutting cleanly. I'm pretty simple with how I clean them. I just take an old toothbrush and use toothpaste. The toothpaste is abrasive and I find it cleans pretty well.

Nothing to worry about........wait until you use the white/fine stones a bunch. ;)

I've had mine for MANY years and they work now as well as the first day I used them. :)

I have the Sharpmaker and I've come to really hate cleaning the rods, sticks, whatever they're called. I put some powdered Ajax on a scouring pad and try to clean them, but there are some streaks on the gray ceramic stones I'm not sure about. They seem too light to be steel residue (they also don't come off), so are these marks wear? I haven't actually used them that much, but I'm curious. Any input would be welcome.

Is steel. Clean with diamond stone XC or C or M or 120WD&D paper. I oil with bcicle Teflon oil to reduce pickup. For white stone clean fine with XC diamond or 120W&D paper and UF with 1200 wet & dry paper. DO NOT CLEAN FINE ROD WITH 1200 W&D OR IT WILL BE UF.

Do not use corner of UF rod becose it is same as F rod

Regards
Frank

Is steel. Clean with diamond stone XC or C or M or 120WD&D paper. I oil with bcicle Teflon oil to reduce pickup. For white stone clean fine with XC diamond or 120W&D paper and UF with 1200 wet & dry paper. DO NOT CLEAN FINE ROD WITH 1200 W&D OR IT WILL BE UF.

Do not use corner of UF rod becose it is same as F rod

Regards
Frank

That I find overkill. I simply use the 3M scotch brite side of a sponge and some Ajax, Comet, Barkeepers friend, or similar. Works just fine and takes only a couple of minutes. This is also what the DVD suggests. You don't have to get the rods looking like new, it is simply not necessary. You only have to get the excessive crap of.

Bar Keeper's Friend and 3M Heavy Duty Scrub Pads. I've used other powder cleaners, and I think Bar Keeper's Friend works the best.

Thanks for the responses. As long as the stones get clean enough to sharpen, fine, but it's sure easier to clean rods than these triangular ceramics. I also like the diamond rods one can carry around in one's pocket. They seem to cut the metal faster when a knife is completely dull, and the fine ceramic stones do a good job putting a finishing touch on a blade. Still, I love the idea behind the Sharpmaker.

Back