spyderco civilian?

hello folks. i've been thinking about a backup EDC piece, and i've narrowed it down to a couple choices, including the spyderco civilian.

i was wondering if people had any thoughts on the differences b/t plain edge and serrated performance in this design, and handle material choices.

i'm leaning towards the carbon fiber handles, and would usually prefer a plain-edge blade, but this is spyderedge, right?

what exactly is spyderedge?

happy halloween,
steve

SpyderEdge just means a serrated edge. As to whether to get a plain or spyder edge, you will get many opinions on that that will differ. I will say this though: If you really want to have this piece as a backup then I suggest getting the g-10 model and not the carbon fiber. The g-10 will offer better grip, especially in sweaty hands. The g-10 model only comes in full spyderedge (serrated). The carbon fiber model comes in plain-edge or serrated. If you really want the plain-edge then you'll need to buy the carbon fiber model (or hunt for an old aluminum + kraton model).

I've got both and although the G10 is definitely less slippery than the CF, the handle shape makes even the CF pretty secure to hold. Nonetheless, in addition to being less slippery, I expect that the rough finished G10 won't show pocket wear as much as the polished CF.

Both my blades are serrated so I can't really give you a comparison with the plain edge.

I have the G-10 and a friend of mine has the carbon fiber. The G-10 will offer a better grip, although the carbon fiber looks real cool.

Normally, I don't get serrated blades. However, this knife is designed to be used as a defense only knife. Very little use in the utility department. With it being used as a defense knife, get the serraded edge it is VERY sharp and well designed.

I have G-10 serrated, aluminium plain and carbonfibre plain. For 'user':rolleyes:
(what a word in same sentence as Civilian) I'd pic serrated g-10 Civvy. You can't beat the looks of plain Civilian but when you intend to strike through BG's leather jackets etc. serrated civvy is better choise. If you get possessed like I you'll hunt those plain ones (and a couple of matriarchs too).

can't say as it's made my decision any easier, but the input's appreciated. as to the spyderedge question, i know it's a serration, just wondering if there's any "specialty" behind it. i think i may go with the carbon fiber in spyderedge first, or maybe in plain edge.. lol.. anyhoo, will let y'all know..

also was wondering: is the carbon fiber much lighter than the g10 version, or are they about the same?

thanks again,

steve

I've been meaning to weigh them on a postal scale. They are close enough that friends and I argue over which is lighter. You might find the official weights on Spyderco's website.

If I was in the market for a self-defense only folder i'd definetely get a Spyderco G10 Civilian with the SpyderEdge - quite simply, this knife was designed to be serrated.

Back