Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Native 5 Lightweight

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • MULE TEAM 28

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

DA170

Platinum Member
Now that the first knife with Spydercos exclusive Crucible stainless steel is available, Who plans on trying it and what model?

I just picked up the Para 3 Lightweight and already remember (after one day) why I gifted my first 2 away! The FRN on the P3LW is very slippery on the outer contours and "Feels" different from other lightweight models! I already broke the knife down and course sanded the scales, As I did before when the Para 3 BD1N first dropped . It helps a little...but I think I'm going to swap the blade into one of my G10 models. I want to test the SPY27 on a knife that's enjoyable for me to use.
I do plan on getting a few of the MULES too!

I don’t understand why the SpY27 knives are all FRN handles?
I prefer the micarta or G10 and it seems like Spyderco isn’t offering those materials.

I don’t understand why the SpY27 knives are all FRN handles?

Maybe it's because they're jacking up the price $42 (from $98 to $140) just for the blade steel. So a lightweight keeps the price lower. If they used the Para 3 g10 which is $143.50, that would put the spy27 version at $185.50.

Even the $140 price for an almost all plastic handle knife seems crazy.

Maybe it's because they're jacking up the price $42 (from $98 to $140) just for the blade steel. So a lightweight keeps the price lower. If they used the Para 3 g10 which is $143.50, that would put the spy27 version at $185.50.

I was just typing the exact same thing! The R&D to bring this new steel to market definitely is contributing to the extensive higher cost, Forcing the use of the Lightweight platforms.

I hope the steel delivers as promised for Spyderco and SPY27 becomes a normal production metal that can be used cost effectively in the entire Golden lineup.

Tell that to Benchmade !

I think SPY27 will come down in cost over time, prices won’t drop but we won’t see the stark increases either.

My suspicion is that Crucible is going to discontinue S30V and S35VN now they have S45VN on the market. Spyderco wanted a steel to set them apart from all the (future) S45VN users (which I believe will become a common steel for quality folders) and also to see what a “Super VG10” made in the US could be; that’s essentially what SPY27 is (VG10 with higher alloy proportions made via PM processes).

They will still have their “exotic” high end models with S110/90V, 20CV, LC200N and K390. I also suspect that ZDP189 will go away soon, which is fine since K390 is superior and ZDP is really nothing impressive anyway.

S30V and S35VN are not going away.

I was seriously considering a Para 3 in SPY27 as my Father's Day present to myself. But when I saw the price, I moved on.

I like BD1N and a different steel isn't worth the extra ~$40+ for me.. At least not at this time. Maybe it'll grow on me but I just can't see paying that much extra for the steel.

I like BD1N and a different steel isn't worth the extra ~$40+ for me.. At least not at this time. Maybe it'll grow on me but I just can't see paying that much extra for the steel.

I completely agree with the extra cost not justifying SPY27 over BD1N. That being said, I personally don't mind supporting Spydercos constant innovation and risk taking. I have high hopes that Spyderco did their homework on the new Crucible steel and it becomes mainstream in Goldens product line at decreased cost over time. :)

Very interesting why the folding knives are more expensive and the Mules are cheaper!

I completely agree with the extra cost not justifying SPY27 over BD1N. That being said, I personally don't mind supporting Spydercos constant innovation and risk taking. I have high hopes that Spyderco did their homework on the new Crucible steel and it becomes mainstream in Goldens product line at decreased cost over time. :)

Very interesting why the folding knives are more expensive and the Mules are cheaper!

I have a pile of Spydercos in different steels and 100% agree with applauding their innovation. I have no doubt the steel will perform well.

S30V and S35VN are not going away.

I was seriously considering a Para 3 in SPY27 as my Father's Day present to myself. But when I saw the price, I moved on.

S35 is almost certainly going away, there’s lots of it out there but I highly doubt it will be in production in 2 years, S30 has a better chance but S45VN was designed as a successor to both, and it really combines the traits of both pretty well.

It’s not sustainable as a business for them to keep all 3 in production, or sensible to compete with yourself in the segment- especially given steel tariffs, Crucible’s financial struggles and labor problems.

I would bet that Spyderco probably helped to finance the development of SPY27, which is part of the price, whereas the blurple Golden models cost more since S110V is VERY expensive on it’s own.

I am sure the folders require much more labor to assemble.

No, that's not what he means. He isn't questioning why a folder costs more. He's questioning why SPY27 Para 3 is so much more than the BASE MODEL Para 3, when the SPY27 Mule costs significantly less than many Mules have cost in the past. It doesn't make sense.

Full up on "lightweights", liners(at least skeletonized), and a nice scale material.

How close is the blue on these to the blue on the s110v lw native and Manix?
Looks pretty much the same to me.

I only have S110V G10 knives and I'm also color blind :)

For what it's worth I have the scales off my S110V Paramilitary 2 in a bag! I'll take a picture in the sun tomorrow next to the SPY27 Para 3.

I only have S110V G10 knives and I'm also color blind :)

For what it's worth I have the scales off my S110V Paramilitary 2 in a bag! I'll take a picture in the sun tomorrow next to the SPY27 Para 3.
Thanks.
The g10 on the 110v and the frn on the 110v lightweights isn’t the same color.
The g10 is the blue/purple. The frn looks more navy.

Thanks anyway though.

Back