Spyderco DLC?

I'm curious about Spyderco's DLC coatings. They definitely state that their black blades are DLC coated, at least on their higher-end knives, but the opaque black coating doesn't look to me like DLC. What I expect to see from real DLC is more of a dark tint than a uniform, opaque coating. I expect to be able to see the blade finish underneath the coating. Rockstead's DLC knives are good example of what I'm talking about. Or CKF's DLC Evos. Or Kunwu's DLC blades.

So what's the deal with Spyderco? Is it DLC over some kind of TiN coating? Or just a VERY thick DLC? Or a different type of DLC process altogether?

Inquiring minds want to know!

You wouldn't see grind lines and it would look consistent across the blade as it does if it is media blasted first.

You wouldn't see grind lines and it would look consistent across the blade as it does if it is media blasted first.
Yeah, that occurred to me, and you may be right, but I still think the steel would be visible if it was the type of DLC I referenced above.

Which specific knife? All the coated knives are not the same process. It changes based on where they're made.

The one I’m looking at is a MANIX 2.
That should be a DLC one since it's a USA model. Here's some notes from people inside the room. This seems to describe what you're seeing.

DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is an IonBond coating that is actually bonded to the steel at a molecular level. It also has a higher hardness than most blade steels, so what often appears to be a scratch on it is actually the "other" material that rubbed off onto the DLC. The tough part with DLC on blades is keeping it looking good. By nature it has a "flat" look and can appear blotchy. A good oil or lubricant can give it a nice, uniform "wet" look, but it's hard to maintain. Over time, it can still scratch, but it's pretty tough.

That should be a DLC one since it's a USA model. Here's some notes from people inside the room. This seems to describe what you're seeing.

DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is an IonBond coating that is actually bonded to the steel at a molecular level. It also has a higher hardness than most blade steels, so what often appears to be a scratch on it is actually the "other" material that rubbed off onto the DLC. The tough part with DLC on blades is keeping it looking good. By nature it has a "flat" look and can appear blotchy. A good oil or lubricant can give it a nice, uniform "wet" look, but it's hard to maintain. Over time, it can still scratch, but it's pretty tough.

Interesting! That's some great info. I'll bet part of the reason for the difference is the surface treatment of the coating. Spyderco's is matte, while the others I've referenced are all polished.

Spyderco's DLC is a tough and durable coating. I like it. It has held up flawlessly for me over more than a year on this PM2. I also like the smooth finish (no grind lines). Recent picture below.

Sometimes you get material transfer onto the coating that looks like scratches. Here I cut thin alu baking trays, and it cleaned right off with a powdered abrasive cleaner.

It is not indestructable, and you can scratch it with a hard material like a sharpening stone/concrete etc. I would steer clear if you are a hard user who dislikes scratched-up tools. For my EDC purposes it is very durable.

From what the OP describes, it seems to me that this DLC process yields a thicker coating than what those manufacturers use. I’m not sure exactly how they apply it. Trade secrets…

Last edited:
It really depends on how it's finished before the DLC. If it's blasted, it's going to look matte like the other photos here.
Here's a Pic of my M4 Smock. They did a satin finish on that, so the DLC looks just how you described. Either way, it's a legit DLC coating and it
should wear roughly the same regardless.

.1000000770.jpg

It really depends on how it's finished before the DLC. If it's blasted, it's going to look matte like the other photos here.
Here's a Pic of my M4 Smock. They did a satin finish on that, so the DLC looks just how you described. Either way, it's a legit DLC coating and it
should wear roughly the same regardless.

.View attachment 2567964

The taichung Spydercos use TiCN (titanium carbonitride) for their coated models afaik. Both DLC and TiCN are just different types of PVD. TiCN on the Smock definitely more pleasing to the eye though:)

Spyderco's DLC is a tough and durable coating. I like it. It has held up flawlessly for me over more than a year on this PM2. I also like the smooth finish (no grind lines). Recent picture below.

Sometimes you get material transfer onto the coating that looks like scratches. Here I cut thin alu baking trays, and it cleaned right off with a powdered abrasive cleaner.

It is not indestructable, and you can scratch it with a hard material like a sharpening stone/concrete etc. I would steer clear if you are a hard user who dislikes scratched-up tools. For my EDC purposes it is very durable.

From what the OP describes, it seems to me that this DLC process yields a thicker coating than what those manufacturers use. I’m not sure exactly how they apply it. Trade secrets…

Good post & pics.
I have a DLC from another reputable maker with what I thought were scratches from a fairly innocuous source, as they didn’t come off with a pencil eraser. Maybe I’ll try some BKF if/when I get around to it.

Good post & pics.
I have a DLC from another reputable maker with what I thought were scratches from a fairly innocuous source, as they didn’t come off with a pencil eraser. Maybe I’ll try some BKF if/when I get around to it.
A rust eraser also works in my experience. It contains abrasive particles, so take care and don't overdo it.

Back