Spyderco dragonfly

Havn't posted a review before, been carrying the same old CS voyager on duty for years...

Anyhoo, got tired of my wife making faces evertime I took the voyager out; so I bought a Spyderco Dragonfly ( plain edge ) for christmas.

So far, I'm really impressed. For a small knife, it's very easy to open one-handed, and feels very nice in the hand. The angled cut behind the opening hole is perfect for your thumb, and the corresponding merge of the grip with the blade at the bottom fits the index finger nicely. Results in a very postitive and secure grip.

The blade was shaving-sharp out of the box, and the very slight curve lets it cut stuff like heavy cardboard very easily. Lockup is nice and tight, with no discernable play.
The self-clip holds very securely; I know some folks like screw-on models that can be replaced in case of breakage, but I've got 5 years on the voyager with no problems. The construction of these knives is so similar- anyone know if there's a CS-Spyderco connection?

The only worry I have is that the knife is so small and light I wouldnt notice if it were missing, so I'm considering a lanyard.

I first looked at one of these in a "mall" knife store; fortunately, I looked around, found it for about half as much at a small outdoor sports/surplus joint.

Yeah, the Dragonfly is a cool little knife. It used to be my "airline" knife whenever I had to fly somewhere. Not anymore of course.:( As far as the CS/Spyderco connection, the only one that I know of is the fact that both Spyderco and Cold Steel have their zytel knives made for them in Seki City, Japan. (except for the Native-its made in Golden) Quite possibly at the same plant. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that they are made side-by-side on parrallel assembly lines. A lot of products are like that now-a-days. For example: there are only three plants in the world that make anti-freeze, but there are more than three brands! Same with car batteries. The plant just mixes (anti-freeze) or makes (batteries) the products according to the different company's specs.

Flinx

Good review!

There's one thing you can say about Spydercos, they come from the factory with an incredibly sharp edge!

Cheers,
Allen.

Bikewer,
Did you get the Dragonfly at Uncle Sams's???? They have some great toys! I am also from St. Louis, give me a shout sometime.
Matt

Be sure to keep on top of blade maintainance with that one. I had a SS drangonfly and had major rust and pitting problems with the ATS55 blade. Spyderco wouldn't do anything about it so eventually I gave it to a friend. Too bad, I always liked the knife. Seems alot bigger than it is when you are using it, major cutting power.

Funny thing is, I've owned two Syperco Harpys over the past six years and never a spot of rust, ever.

Anyways, enjoy the blade!

LeSoleilNoir

Jazzman: yeppers, uncle Sam's for all your boytoy needs....

Picked up a Glock airsoft to play with as well.

I have A frn serrated Spyderco Dragonfly and 2 CF serrated Spyderco Dragonflies. At first i was not overly impressed but it has grown on me. rr

Back