Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

I've never seen ebay take down any fake item that I reported. Has anyone ever had any luck with getting fakes removed?
Old post I know, but I just got an e-maill from eBay last week that they had checked into an item I reported and removed it. I think that makes me one for 78, but I'm going to stick with it.

Heavily suspect my M4 Military I bought in Individual Sales recently is a fake. Seller advertised it as a modded knife. I noticed the sticker on the box reads "PA60CM" in that strange font and nothing else. Google search of this code reveals foreign websites that have spyderco "replicas." Does anyone have advice on what to do?

I just got and returned a fake Para 3 CPM S45VN from a vendor via Amazon. The price was a little bit too good. Amazon made good on it and kicked the vendor off of Amazon, refunded me and couponed me a little moolah. Here's a few of the dead give aways:
1)The Box
a) logo icon was wrong,
b) Missing a trademark symbol and other funky stuff.
c) fonts
d) foam was edge to edge, Spyderco has a small gap.

2) The blade
a) Was sloppy overly oiled to make the action seem better
b) The etching was not the same quality.
c) The classic comma space after Spyderco was a period without a space. The etched words were slightly sloppy.
d) It was sharpened well, with a good apex. That was a surprise. It was probably a cheap easy to sharpen mov steel that won't hold an edge.

3) The scales weren't finished as well as should be, though close.

So I ordered another Para 3, this time in CPM S110V. Looks real to me.:) Slices nice, sharp as $h1t.

I’m surprised that people are surprised when they find they’ve been sold a fake off Amazon. It’s not uncommon so why take the risk — unless it’s an unusually rare variant, which raises the stakes in and of itself? I stick with known vendors or those 3rd parties who do custom work. Amazon is good for a lot of things, but I don’t use them when authenticity or provenance is a key factor. Of course there are legitimate dealers on Amazon but I’d rather give my business to bladehq, dlt and others. Or the trade forums on BF.

I’m surprised that people are surprised when they find they’ve been sold a fake off Amazon. It’s not uncommon so why take the risk — unless it’s an unusually rare variant, which raises the stakes in and of itself? I stick with known vendors or those 3rd parties who do custom work. Amazon is good for a lot of things, but I don’t use them when authenticity or provenance is a key factor. Of course there are legitimate dealers on Amazon but I’d rather give my business to bladehq, dlt and others. Or the trade forums on BF.
The one time I jumped on a Spyder it was a fake, as per the previous post, Amazon made good on it. I usually check the seller. Go to their seller's page and check for their actual business name and then check it with Spyderco.. I tend to use Onkata on Amazon as they are a legit reseller. I called Spyderco, the guy on the phone said, "As long as it's a real Spyderco, they will honor the warranty." I got to get that in writing. :)

Hi Dstan,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
That you. I have 4 Spyderco's.
Paramilitary 2 S45VN
Para 3 S110V
Para 3 LW SPY27
Manix 2 LW Spy27

Fantastic knives, razor sharp, great action right out of the box.
I uncovered an obvious counterfeit Para 3 S45VN and had Amazon boot the vendor and return my money. I got the 110V version from Onkata an authorized reseller. The counterfeit's price was up there, not the crazy bargain a fake might try to lure people with.

And sometimes it's not a fake or a knock-off. Sometimes it's just seller ignorance.

There is a listing on Ebay right now for a Matriarch 2, problem is, the pics are all of an Endura 4. Could be either for sale. Know your knife before buying - or selling.

Back