Spyderco Harpy

The Spyderco Harpy was my first Spyderco knife way back in the late 90's. I loved it and carried it quite a bit until it got stolen. Its been a long time but I'm thinking about replacing it. I'd like to hear from you though.

Any of you have one? Do you carry/use it? Overall thoughts or opinions?

I've owned a Tasman, not quite the same animal, so this one would be the stainless in VG10.

I've got a Merlin Clip-it (FRN w/molded clip) that I bought in the 90's, which is similar to the Harpy.

Originally purchased it as a SD knife. Never used it and, now that I consider it a collector's item, never will. However, I have no doubt that it would cut anything I want to cut w/ease. It would probably be very useful in gardening cutting/pruning branches or in the trades cutting wire, wallboard, plastic wrap and other such things. Same would obviously apply to the Harpy.

I assume you know you can easily find a replacement Harpy on EB. Also, if you loved it so much, I don't see why you'd care what any of us think about it and why you just don't immediately buy another.

What are you waiting for? :confused:

I've got a Merlin Clip-it (FRN w/molded clip) that I bought in the 90's, which is similar to the Harpy.

Originally purchased it as a SD knife. Never used it and, now that I consider it a collector's item, never will. However, I have no doubt that it would cut anything I want to cut w/ease. It would probably be very useful in gardening cutting/pruning branches or in the trades cutting wire, wallboard, plastic wrap and other such things. Same would obviously apply to the Harpy.

I assume you know you can easily find a replacement Harpy on EB. Also, if you loved it so much, I don't see why you'd care what any of us think about it and why you just don't immediately buy another.

What are you waiting for? :confused:

Maybe I'm just wanting to hear experiences and opinions to help push me over the edge. :) I mean, theres some others on my list, but I'm feeling a little nostalgic I guess.

I've got a couple (PE and SE). I've carried and used the SE quite a bit, but not in the last few years. That thing is quite a carpet cutter, and it works well as a pruner for small stuff, but I prefer a longer blade and handle ( I have big hands), so it got replaced by a SpyderHawk.

I also had two Harpy knives with G-10,,, much prefer the Spyderhawk and Matriarch with longer blades.
If you like G-10,,, aftermarket scales are easily available for the Matriarch,, scales are identical to the Endura 4.

Regards,
FK

Well I can see why the good Brother would want to hear feedback and personal experiences that we might have had with our own Harpy models or even any other Spyderco Hawkbill blades for that matter. Isn't that what this forum is for?>> to exchange opinions and ideas?? Don't quite understand that one response at all :confused:
I have owned and have used just about every Hawkbill Spyderco has ever made with the exception of the very first run of the Harpy in GIN-1 blade steel.
My all time favorite companion Hawkbill which I usually carry with my main EDC was the G-10 handled Harpy from the old ATS-55 era. Unfortunately that one got stolen and I've yet to replace it and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that "Sal & Co." will eventually do another run of the G-10 Harpy. The Harpy model even as good as it is was a completely much different folder with that G-10 handle.
But overall I tend to like about every rendition of the Harpy that Spyderco ever made. And VG-10 is a great blade steel in Spyderedge as was ATS-55. I'm seriously thinking about starting another thread for the return of the G-10 Harpy. Even another Carbon Fiber version would make me happy.
However I've never considered any Hawkbill a main EDC>> but rather a companion folder for my main EDC at that given time. And serrated Hawkbills tend to have great cutting power by comparison.

I own a Byrd Hawkbill, it's a good work knife but I'm still learning how to sharpen it properly. I know how but the serrations are a different way of doing things for me.

It's been replaced for now with a serrated Byrd Robbin which I have more luck sharpening. The small leaf shape blade works better for cardboard duty as it basically behaves like a box cutter. But the Hawkbill just beats it in cutting plastic straps, landscape fabric, plastic wrap, and almost everything else. Being able to slide the blade under straps and push down on the handle which makes the blade push up which causes it to do a nice push cut is a nice trick the blade shape allows you to do too.

I would say a serrated h1 Hawkbill would make a great new knife to EDC, but that's me I love spydercos serrations after getting that Byrd Hawkbill.

Normal EDC for me when wearing jeans... G10 Harpy with ATS 55 in the left pocket, whatever is the current favorite in the right. The one in the right changes quite often. A whole lot of Spydercos have been the right side EDC. That's the normal knife I pull out to cut something open. Last couple years, that has been one variation of the Manix or another. Just a month or so ago I swapped out my Blurple Manix for the DLT red Manix.

But... the left one has been that original Harpy for a whole lot of years. We live on 90 acres. I'm mowing, working with livestock, doing our electrical, doing our plumbing, etc, every day. Nothing beats a Harpy when you need to cut a water hose into pieces. Or cut up some rope. Or just for something you need to be delicate with and the Manix feels too big. I managed to break the tip off mine years ago so I handed it to the people behind the counter at the Spyderco store... I just hoped they could reprofile it a bit and sharpen it. I figured it would work even if it was a bit shorter. But they just put a whole new blade on it. I was up there last year and they sharpened it again.

I really like mine. Sure, it would be even better with some type of super steel... but somehow it has worked for me for decades now.

Like I said, its been 20 or so years, but it felt good in the hand, like a Delica but a litmore weighty (not heavy) and balanced...if I'm remembering correctly.

Normal EDC for me when wearing jeans... G10 Harpy with ATS 55 in the left pocket, whatever is the current favorite in the right. The one in the right changes quite often. A whole lot of Spydercos have been the right side EDC. That's the normal knife I pull out to cut something open. Last couple years, that has been one variation of the Manix or another. Just a month or so ago I swapped out my Blurple Manix for the DLT red Manix.

But... the left one has been that original Harpy for a whole lot of years. We live on 90 acres. I'm mowing, working with livestock, doing our electrical, doing our plumbing, etc, every day. Nothing beats a Harpy when you need to cut a water hose into pieces.

I really like mine. Sure, it would be even better with some type of super steel... but somehow it has worked for me for decades now.
The ATS-55, G-10 handled Harpy you spoke about has always been my favorite hard use Spyderco Hawkbill. I so much want to see a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy at some point. And I know I'm not alone with that one. And like you said the specific cutting jobs that the Harpy and other bigger Hawkbills are good for there really isn't any other folder that compares IMO. The Harpy and other Hawkbills I strictly want in Spyderedge. I've yet to find hardly any cutting jobs that plain edged Hawkbills are good for. But Spyderedged Hawkbills have lots of viable uses to them.

I have a harpy in stainless SE. I took off the clip and it rides in my right hip pocket.. Front pockets host the delica and enduro twins also in stainless.

I own two SS Harpies, one in ATS-55 and the other in VG10, and both in SE. The Harpy, including its blade, is more rugged than the Tasman Salt.

In spite of that, in recent years I carry and use my Tasmans more than my Harpies, though I still do use the Harpies on occasion.

Jim

I own two SS Harpies, one in ATS-55 and the other in VG10, and both in SE. The Harpy, including its blade, is more rugged than the Tasman Salt.

In spite of that, in recent years I carry and use my Tasmans more than my Harpies, though I still do use the Harpies on occasion.

Jim
That's a great point you make there Jim. Yeah the blade on the Harpy is thicker and more sturdy than the blade on the TASMAN unit is. I've always like the Harpy the best of all of Spyderco's mid sized Hawkbills. I would love to see a Spyderhawk with the same rigid construction that they use on the Harpy. I would love to see the return of the G-10 Harpy and for them to at least do a Sprint Run of a G-10 Spyderhawk.
If Spyderco would ever do an aggressive marketing for all of their Hawkbill models in the gardening and landscaping sectors I don't think that they would be able to fill all the orders. Because I've found the Harpy to be a very useful tool when doing gardening and landscaping chores.

The Spyderco Harpy was my first Spyderco knife way back in the late 90's. I loved it and carried it quite a bit until it got stolen.

Did the thief look anything like this guy?
han_harpy3a.jpg

Did the thief look anything like this guy?
han_harpy3a.jpg
For sure the good Doctor Hannibal Lecter M.D. was the guy who brought fame and recognition to the great Harpy model. Our own Dr. Hannibal Lecter over at the other Spyderco forum also dearly adores Hawkbills and Karambits both.

Spyderco is truly about the only company that has had any notable success with the Hawkbill designs. But it's going to get bigger with more people starting to realize how good of a tool that Hawkbill blades are in Gardening, Landscaping and Nursery trades. I'm surprised that Spyderco hasn't tried to market their great Hawkbills in a gardening catalog like the A.M. Leonard Co.

Back