Spyderco Herbst C53 Numbering?

sgt1372

Platinum Member
I just bought this used Spyderco Herbst (C53PS) w/a Ti and blue annodized handle and w/a partially serrated 440C blade.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

According to Spyderco Source, this knife was apparently made in Germany (by Solignen as stamped on the clip side of the blade) sometime between 1997-2000, when they switched to a non-annodized aluminum handle and then discontinued its production in 2002.

Spyderco apparently experienced various manufacturing problems w/this knife and other changes were supposedly made in the manufacturing of the knife, as mentioned in some other threads that I found on the Spyderco Forum, because of those problems.

In any event, I'm just curious about the numbering on the knife. I did a brief search for any info on the numbering and found the following old thread back in 2001 where Sal says that there were only 300 of this knife made. See Post #4 in this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/peter-herbst-how-many-originals.176430/.

As noted in the last photo, my knife is numbered 978 and there are many other early Herbst Ti model knives mentioned in the above and other threads reported to have been numbered higher than 300.

So, can anyone (especially Sal) explain the numbering of the early Ti Herbst C53s? How can there be knives numbered in the 900's if only 300 were ever made/sold?

If just 300 of this version of the knife were ever made/sold, this truly a very rare knife.

Last edited:
The first thousand of collaborations were numbered. I imagine they are assembled from a pile of blades,not in chronological order.

Back