Spyderco hole all up in your face

I think it comes down to business practices. Spyderco uses others influences and he credits them (such as the Sage series). It also doesn't try to artificially inflate prices. Benchmade DOES artificially inflate prices and they drop suppliers who do not agree to their pricing model. In addition they do not give credit to other designers when using what is obviously their intellectual property... is there another knife out there that used the spyder hole prior to spyderco? No... yes holes existed previously as did knives, but your argument is like saying the professor from Back to the future shouldn't be credited for the Flux capacitor since both garbage and automobiles existed previously. You clearly have an agenda and are not interested in discussing this matter. No one agrees with you. Let off of it. No one is saying Benchmade doesn't make good knives, WE ARE SAYING Benchmade does not follow fair business practices and generally lacks many of the qualities that make Sal and Spyderco what they are.

Last edited:
I see a hole in a blade I automatically think Spyderco, before I recognize it isn't one (if it isn't). And if it isn't, my next thought is 'they copied Spydercos idea'.
In my 4 years as a budding folding knife enthusiast that has become my automatic thought process. So to me that's a real Trademark, regardless of the correct definition of the term.
To me, the Spyderco hole isn't really worth arguing about, it's simply iconic and alluring, within the context of the company as a whole.

I've gained a real feeling of respect for Spyderco and Sal Glesser, in no small part from what I have gained from reading through Blade Forums since 2012.
The way Sal just posts here along with the rest of us seems to be a unique thing to me. Not that long ago I posted pics of a Para2 I had custom scales on, and Sal Glesser posted in the thread "Hey, thats a beautiful mod".
I mean, I had done something that voided the warranty, had changed it from how he designed and made it, and he was positive about it, on top of the fact that he posted just like any of us ordinary mortals might do.
I still smile to myself about that.
Spyderco to me has a face, a personality, a character, that I just don't see in other makers.
Spyderco's dominate my collection, and will continue to do so.

As I understand it, the Para2 was the result of Spyderco listening to, and responding to, customers feedback on the original Paramilitary, which had a 3" blade. This happened several years ago.
More recently I recall reading on BF about Para2's modified to 3" blade length and discussions about it, including comments from Sal. Some time later I hear there will be a 3" Para3 coming. The community expressed what they wanted and Spyderco is responding. Again.
Yes Spyderco is in business to make money, of course they are. But I can't help admiring the way the do it.

I have, and really like, some Benchmades, and their customer service is great, but BM left me cold with the enforced MAP thing. They just became too expensive for the sake of wanting to 'appear' a cut above other production knives. Benchmade seems by comparison to be a faceless company, more interested in a 'business model' than their customers feedback. I may still buy a BM if I like it enough, but that will be very rare.

The 485 valet is one slick looking knife but that's firefly money

The build of the Spyderco and community relation has me a repeat customer

I'm not a fan of all things Spyderco, but I have owned several and still own a few, and I like the GB enough that I preordered a GB2. That said, I think this preoccupation with the hole is a little weird. It's a mode of opening, nothing more. Flippers and studs can do the same job just as well--if the designs are right they're all good. I'm not a BM fanboy either but I will say that it is worth it to me personally to pay a small premium to know that I'm helping to support American craftsmen, provided they're turning out quality products. Ymmv, obviously.

The thread was closed by someone else, but we're going to leave it open. Discussion is never bad and I think everyone can maintain the proper level of respect for others. If that changes then I'll readdress the thread.

Last edited:
Some companies are just better than others. And the proof is in the numbers.

I have 4 Spyderco's, 0 Benchmades. Nuff said.

I have several benchmades and spydercos, and prefer most of the spydercos over most of the benchmades - one reason being "the hole".
However, my favorite folder of all time is a benchmade... with a hole.

That sums up this hole thread for me. :)

Benchmade makes some nice stuff and their customer service was excellent. They have an excellent product I just wish they would go with a free market approach. I've had several Benchmade knives and up until my experience with the compression lock the Axis lock was my favorite. I can't really put my finger on what is so alluring about some spyderco models. I finally have a SpyderHawk which I would've happily paid $200+ to purchase and I'm willing to pay more for a Titanium ATR than I am for one of the higher end Sebenzas. I actually sold my Sebenza as well as my umnumzaan to get a few Spyderco knives. My old man has been carrying a combo edge Police model in stainless since before I can remember. He has gone through maybe 4 of them since the early 80's. In fact I just bought him a new one last year so I could take his old one and sharpen it up and clean it up. The kind of abuse he puts that thing through is insane. He uses it without hesitation to trim branches and dig up weeds and anything else. Eventually it gets a few spots and dulls up but that knife just keeps taking it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as that was sincerely not what I intended. I used my calypso 3.5 in the kitchen this evening to great effect--it's a splendid knife and one of the very few that can challenge my BM 943 for pocket supremacy. It's just that no knife is perfect--that's why we're enthusiasts.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, as that was sincerely not what I intended.

No offense here, it's purely a functional thing for me. Studs make bulk, get snagged on stuff, and get in the way of sharpening.
No doubt the hole has drawbacks too, but don't outweigh the stud negatives for me.

I love those holes
e8dba315c626a97b0f97e03b5c951d79.jpg

Back