Spyderco Spyderco Lightweight Conversions

bjw

Only Easy Day Was Yesterday
Platinum Member
Has anyone converted any lightweight Spyderco to have regular scales? Specifically the Manix 2.

I know there are some hardware differences but I haven’t really dived into this and I’m getting my first lightweight hopefully tomorrow.

The lightweight models are riveted together. Sorting that that out; will need to be about the first thing you do.
Good luck!👍

Reactions: bjw
The lightweight models are riveted together. Sorting that that out; will need to be about the first thing you do.
Good luck!👍
I saw that the Manix 2 I am getting has T6 I think in one side. So am I unable to still remove the screws?

20211203_092608.jpg
Lightweight Manix 2 on the left... you'll have to grind off the head of the rivet, and push it on out the other side. I'm not sure about the process of removing the rivets with screws; but I've seen it done. YouTube and Google will be your friends...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bjw
Very nice. So did you have to source some of the hardware for the normal scales?

The new lightweights do have torx now instead of rivets. To my knowledge none of the aftermarket scales will work for them yet but some of the usual makers are working on them.
Isn’t the blade the same dimensions as the regular ones that would have g10 scales? So all I would need is the hardware like the screws the liner or no liners if I go with AGT scales?

Isn’t the blade the same dimensions as the regular ones that would have g10 scales? So all I would need is the hardware like the screws the liner or no liners if I go with AGT scales?
The blades ARE the same...

Yes the blade is the same. There was a post on the spyderco forum where someone tried to use the rockscale linerless scales and it wouldn't work. I didn't dig into it much since I don't have a manix. I'm sure if you search around for it you will find it.

Good luck!👍
As noted above, this used to be the case, but is outdated info now. My Manix LW is one of the newer models with screws instead of rivets. I’ll grab pics for you tomorrow.

I’d love aftermarket scale options for LW models.

Depends. FRN has somewhat unique properties, it's very tough, and not every material is suitable as a replacement. CF and G10 are tough enough, but wood maybe not?

As noted above, this used to be the case, but is outdated info now. My Manix LW is one of the newer models with screws instead of rivets. I’ll grab pics for you tomorrow.

I’d love aftermarket scale options for LW models.
Sounds good. I just need to find the hardware now to try this out. I bought 2 of the LW Rex45 Manix 2’s and want to convert one

Try looking up changing the ball cage and spring on a Manix 2 lightweight.
Any video involving that should show the hardware change.

Back