Spyderco Manix 2 and Benchmade Griptillian - Next 2 test knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could have been done with an SAK or a razor knife as well. ;)

Not exactly hard use.

Now the guy who battened his Strider through the battery cable that was different.

The reason why there is an XM-18, fire fighters and EMT people.

I lied:eek: I guess I'm not done with this thread yet:D
If that guy was on duty at an emergency scene and performed that, he's a moron. Unless that was during a training or a civilian, there's absolutely no reason to do that when a pair of cutters will do a much better and quicker job.
I'd also love to know how many guys doing frontline work have even heard of the XM-18, let alone use them on duty. Awesome knife in every single way and probably one of the best thought-out knives on the market for frontline workers, but it's still no match for the tools on the trucks.

No, not exactly hard use, but I have served for 12 years as a firefighter and have never been in a situation where I have needed a "hard use" folder. However, there have been plenty of times when I've needed a sharp knife that I could produce quickly while wearing gloves.

How many firefighters and EMTs carry a $400 XM-18 in their gear?
In my experience price is a very important consideration when a firefighter, police officer, EMTs etc chooses a knife. Yes, there are knife nuts who are firefighters, but how do the other 99.9% of users get by with a slipjoint SAK, a lightweight lock knife or a pair of EMT shears?

I don't have a problem with knife nuts buying "hard use" folders - it's their right to buy whatever they want, but I object to a good solid tool like a Spyderco, that is 100% appropriate for professional use, being dismissed as "a cheese slicer".

Well said:thumbup:

i'm a first responder, and i have carried the following on duty:

sebenza
xm18
cqc 8, 7, 13, kerambit

i know for a fact that cops use knives as prytools all the time. ive seen it done countless times, and i typically get to repair the damage.

most of my colleague's knives have broken tips, chips out of the edge, loose pivots, and are butter knife dull.

just because most of us here don't pry, that doesn't mean many, many, people don't.

Let alone the implications if overstrikes (and trimming down the wood) make the functioning of the locking mechanism questionable. In real life highly trained people fall down or more often drop things, things never go perfect and bodies and tools get banged up. Ankerson didn't really do too hard of whacks on the wood with the knife and it was already compromised. If the knife took a 6 ft drop to concrete its a possibility the lock is compromised again?

Of course a box cutter or $20 folder could do most of the cutting tasks people do, nobody is questioning that.

i'm a first responder, and i have carried the following on duty:

sebenza
xm18
cqc 8, 7, 13, kerambit

i know for a fact that cops use knives as prytools all the time. ive seen it done countless times, and i typically get to repair the damage.

most of my colleague's knives have broken tips, chips out of the edge, loose pivots, and are butter knife dull.

just because most of us here don't pry, that doesn't mean many, many, people don't.

Excellent points. :thumbup:

I think it's interesting that some still think that I had other motives. :rolleyes:

If some will remember, it wasn't my idea to test the Manix 2 and the Griptillian in the 1st place. It was called for by some members here on BF and the Knives were donated to me for testing. They called for those 2 specific models to be tested. ;)

Some make it sound like I went out and got a Manix 2 just to try and discredit Spyderco, that is absolutely absurd.

Neither model would have been tested if they weren't both requested and donated to me, neither knife was on my buy list to get.

Some here need to take notice of that simple fact.

Last edited:
and many of them carry decent knives. just like military personnel buying from the px, cops will buy what is available at our equipment stores.

they carry sog, kershaw, s&w, emerson, spyderco, zt, and cold steel.

It's unfortunate although understandable that E. Glesser reacted so defiantly to these test results. In the internet-age it's possible to create a stir quickly.
I think most of the opinions expressed on bladeforums are positive toward Spyderco and help them. So here a Spyderco knife doesn't look great. It needs to be put in perspective. Internet "word-of-mouth" seems to be working in Spyderco's favor, overall.
Hey, everyone has an opinion. What is hard-use? How thick should a blade or tip be? Spyderco knows the knife buying public better than any single user. It sounds arrogant to tell them how to run their business.

It's unfortunate although understandable that E. Glesser reacted so defiantly to these test results. In the internet-age it's possible to create a stir quickly.
I think most of the opinions expressed on bladeforums are positive toward Spyderco and help them. So here a Spyderco knife doesn't look great. It needs to be put in perspective. Internet "word-of-mouth" seems to be working in Spyderco's favor, overall.
Hey, everyone has an opinion. What is hard-use? How thick should a blade or tip be? Spyderco knows the knife buying public better than any single user. It sounds arrogant to tell them how to run their business.

I never told Spyderco how to do anything other than a few PM's to Sal Glesser in the past about a few opinions about what I would like to see in the future, that's called feedback.

I already had 8 knives in my personal inventory that were on the list to be tested, 3 knives have been donated to me for testing.

All the knives tested have been tested fairly and equally as best as I could.

My opinions are just as valid as yours or anyone here on BF, we all have our own ideas about certain things and opinions on what might make things better etc.

I own 2 Spydercos currently, an Endura 4 FFG in ZDP-189 and a JD Smith and I like them both, I wouldn't test either knife because they aren't hard use rated knives. I also stated that I owned 2 Military's in the past, but I won't go out and get another one to test because I know the tip won't make it though my testing process from my prior experience with them. It would be stupid on my part to get another one to test knowing going in that I would snap off the tip on the knife before I even bought the knife and 15 mins after I got the knife it would be broken. I am not in the habit of burning money for no reason.

Last edited:
It sounds arrogant to tell them how to run their business.
No one is telling them. That would indeed be presumptuous. I'll speak only for myself here when I say that the Manix 2 is a very good, flawlessly made razorsharp folder of high quality, that is unfit for certain tasks that can be performed by some other folders.
The reverse can be said as well; the M2 performs the tasks it can do better than those tougher folders. I think it's not an unreasonable conclusion to say that excellence at one task precludes excellence at the other.

My only real criticism of Spyderco is that they advertize the M2 as something of a hard use folder. That it is not.

What I WOULD like to see from Spyderco is a folder that resembles the Manix 1, has an ever stronger lock (don't care what type, liner, frame or back), and a lot less acute tip. I think that knife would be a big hit, and I would buy it 100%.

What I WOULD like to see from Spyderco is a folder that resembles the Manix 1, has an ever stronger lock (don't care what type, liner, frame or back), and a lot less acute tip. I think that knife would be a big hit, and I would buy it 100%.

I would be 2nd in line right behind you to get mine if they did that. :thumbup:

If it was in ZDP-189 and would trample you to be 1st in line. :D

Last edited:
But don't you guys get it? Spyderco only listens to the big guns on their forums and they have no use for hard use knives. :p

But don't you guys get it? Spyderco only listens to the big guns on their forums and they have no use for hard use knives. :p

Maybe management should put you on speed dial to check in before design decisions. :rolleyes:

they listen and pay attention to the end user more than any other company i am aware of.

as an individual i carry little weight, but when enough people want to see a particular change they tend to make it happen. whether it be a steel, scale material/color, or re-release of a model.

they listen and pay attention to the end user more than any other company i am aware of.

as an individual i carry little weight, but when enough people want to see a particular change they tend to make it happen. whether it be a steel, scale material/color, or re-release of a model.

I'm sure that's the way it works. But I'm sure that some guys have more weight to them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back