Photos Spyderco Matriarch 2 (newer batch?)

Is anyone notice that the newer batch of Spyderco Matriarch 2 has several (major) differences compared to the older batch?
Differences that I noticed are:

1. The is tip of the blade is less curvy and less pointed than what it used to be.

2. There is no Emerson patent in one of the blade side

I got mine just recently in May 2021 from White Mountain Knives, this is the pic:

This is the pic of that knive compared to blade in the Civilian:

As comparison, this is the picture I got from the internet for Matriarch 2 compared to Civilian:

To be honest, the curvy and pointy tip of the Matriarch 2 are the features that makes me want to get this knife. The fact that I receive the different blade profile than what I expect is rather disappointing. Would it be possible for me to get a blade replacement from spyderco?

Last edited:
I've broken the tips on both Matriarch and Civilian so maybe that's a reason for some Spydie CQI?
Anyway, I like the new blade shape, looks more durable and edc friendlier.

the pics arent showing up, can you try again im curious to see the difference, you will have to upload the pics to a free hosting site first then insert the link to them here by pressing the "insert image" button right above the text box

the pics arent showing up, can you try again im curious to see the difference, you will have to upload the pics to a free hosting site first then insert the link to them here by pressing the "insert image" button right above the text box
I would just give you the link to the pics that I uploaded to Flickr:

I got mine just recently in May 2021 from White Mountain Knives, this is the pic:

This is the pic of that knive compared to blade in the Civilian:

As comparison, this is the picture I got from the internet for Matriarch 2 compared to Civilian:

thats interesting, it looks like they made the blade a bit wider. maybe sal can let us know about the change. also i wonder if they changed the regular matriarch without the wave.

But the reversed S blade (as in the Civilian) is intended for one purpose: as a self defense tool. If reading from the brochure, this purpose is also the same for Matriarch 2.

The tip would probably be more effective if its more narrow, curvy and pointy as it would inflict more damage and provide more stopping power for your attacker.

But the reversed S blade (as in the Civilian) is intended for one purpose: as a self defense tool. If reading from the brochure, this purpose is also the same for Matriarch 2.

The tip would probably be more effective if its more narrow, curvy and pointy as it would inflict more damage and provide more stopping power for your attacker.
i think either way both blades are fine for their intended purpose, cold steel made their black talon 2 based on the spyderco civilian and they gave their design a much thicker tip also

Last edited:
I like the older more pointy blade profile better as well.
Maybe return it and and try to find an older model from another source, if that bothers you ?

The Matriarch was designed for the South African market initialy as a cheaper and more carry friendly (for females) version of the Civilian. Let's nor forget that the Civi and Matriarch where a backup WEAPON designed for law enforcement officers who needed a knife as a replacement for their handgun when going undercover. The purpose was an easy to use tool for anyone fighting for his dear life in a self defense situation. No intrinsic flowing Kali moves or stabbing like a stitchmachine just slashing fleshy parts that comes near. Because people don't tend to fight for their lives more then once in their lifetime ( unless you fight for a living) breaking of the tip is the least of your concern. And if you do, you will be happy to buy a new one. Now the problem is that most people also use their Matriarch or Civilian for cutting stuff other then human or animal flesh in a life or death situation. They use this dedicated FIGHTING knife as a general usage knife and as expected whine to Spyderco because they broke their knifepoint off cutting everyday stuff. So Spyderco opted to change the profile to a more EDC carry friendly tip. Still very SD capable but with a sturdier point. Now if you need a stricktly SD oriented weapon you can still buy the Civilian, or an older version of the Matriarch. Even with the new tip i believe the knife will function 100% for it's intended usage. This is a "grab and slash" weapon for untrained people, and there are better knives imho as a SD weapon for anyone trained in the basics of SD with a blade.
I carried a dedicated SD knife like the Civilian as a backup in my lifetime, but i remember having a hard time to always remember to refrain from using the knife as a everyday cutting tool. Because it was not designed for that. You needed to carry a EDC knife and a dedicated SD knife on your person ( next to your primary weapon and a handgun) .

I like the older style too, but understand the change. Probably for people that actually use the knife for tasks other than self defense.

RE: OP Comments
1. The is tip of the blade is less curvy and less pointed than what it used to be.
2. There is no Emerson patent in one of the blade side

I recently received a Black Titanium Carbonite (TiCN) Matriarch-2 (C12BBK2W) without Emerson tattoo, and also without blade-tang mfr-date-stamp. The fwd part of the blade has the extended-tip close to description of OP (more similar to Civilian than OP's rvcd knife, with shorter tip, in his questions). Effectively, from the read of this thread appears to have "older" longer/skinnier tip combined with newer non Emerson tattoo.

1) Any confirmed info related to a tip redesign (aka CQI modification, date of CQI), etc. would be appreciated. I know this happened decades ago on the Civilian (circa 2002), but on the Martiarch ...?

2) Is it confirmed/accepted that the Emerson Pat. tattoo on reverse side of Matriarch Emerson Wave has been discontinued or that some portion of Matriarch production did not have ?
If so, when did Spyderco stop the tattoo ? (I understand Emerson's rights to the wave were slated to end in 2017)

3) From what I can find Endura and Matriarch perhaps do not have blade-tang mfr-date-stamp? Curious if this is true, part true, etc.?

4) Does anyone have a magnified photo showing the Spyder-Bug logo on a TiCN coated Seki-City knife for comparison that you can post or link ?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanx Jim. Nice explanation.

I've not heard of one without the Emerson patent. You may want to call us and check on that.

Yes, we had to adjust the tip for the reasons mentioned.

sal

Sal, it always welcomed & appreciated when you step in :)

Here is an image from the Spyderco website showing a C12BBK2 w/o the Emerson tattoo on reverse. I was assuming that the tattoo may have been deleted per my comment 2) above.

C12SBBK2W_Both.png

Back