Spyderco McBee Review Pocket Clip Update

Is there a recurve?

Also the in hand pics make it look like a prison shank!

A recurve would be interesting but I've seen nothing to indict it would be anything other than a Warncliffe.

Got a good laugh at you prison shank comment .... thank you for that.

A recurve would be interesting but I've seen nothing to indict it would be anything other than a Warncliffe.

Got a good laugh at you prison shank comment .... thank you for that.
I asked about the recurve because it looked like there was a slight one in one of the pics.

I bet you could get a lot of smokes and beef jerky for one of these in the joint!

I like the idea of the micro knife until I have to use one.
This one is very attractive as a mini box cutter/office edc.
The clip leaves me with a little throw up in my mouth, but many of Spyderco’s knives do that.
I like it, but only as a novelty.

I like the idea of the micro knife until I have to use one.
This one is very attractive as a mini box cutter/office edc.
The clip leaves me with a little throw up in my mouth, but many of Spyderco’s knives do that.
I like it, but only as a novelty.

It's great as an office EDC. I even cut up some carrots for a roast over the weekend with it as well. It's certainly functional, but yes, it is so small it's borderline novelty.

That is the crazy thing with the McBee, it's damn functional but damn small.

Last edited:
20181129-121144.jpg

I just got one and your review seems pretty spot-on. I’d say the Techno 2 is a better EDC blade but I like the McBee.
i.ashx

I usually find most small knives built rather cheaply until I discovered the Spyderco small ones. A McBee is on my to purchase list. It may dwarf my recent purchase of a Toad , but fit right in with the Spin.

IMG_4349.jpg Spin 2.jpg Spin 3.jpg

I bought mine after reading this review multiple times. I was looking for its cute look and not for it function. But I was totally wrong. Its ergo is so so so so good, definitely Mr Mcnee put a lot of deliberate consideration. It covers 99% of what I need from a EDC. It also give me the freedom to choose the second knife to carry together. e.g., I can carry a Lil' Matriarch just for a specific purpose.
Two hints as others already emphasized in this thread,
1) use a lanyard makes a big difference in holding the knife;
2) keep the clip as it help to rest your finger on it instead of on the lock bar.

8StzgkH.jpg

ioECe0x.jpg

nPwModp.jpg

I have really grown fond of these and have a couple now. It will definitely be one of the main knives in my EDC since my new job limits blades to 2.5”.

Get one of the clips from McNees. This is what should be on the knife from the factory. The factory clip is too long and stiff.

i.ashx

The McNee's clip definitely makes the ratio right now. the brass Sting is really sexy and poisonous.
I have really grown fond of these and have a couple now. It will definitely be one of the main knives in my EDC since my new job limits blades to 2.5”.

Get one of the clips from McNees. This is what should be on the knife from the factory. The factory clip is too long and stiff.

i.ashx

I know Spyderco doesn't want to get into the clip business, but their clips, especially on the smaller knives just don't add visually to their knives. The McNee is case in point.

Love the stinger by the way.

Agree. Be honest, I really like the standard Spyderco clips. THey are elegant, solid and high quality. They look great on many of Spyderco's inhouse lines, like PM, Delica, Endura. But they are not in the right positions with these cooperated projects. The one on Mcbee definitely not come from cutting cost. but it does not fit the knife. Another recent example is swayback. while swayback itself is such a good knife, I have to replace the factory clip.

Last edited:
Back