Spyderco Military S30V VS S110V

S110V is great steel and keep an edge quite longer than S30V. But may be more difficult to sharpen. I like S30V and S35VN though, it is very good steel for folder.

Both are great steels, but you need diamond hones to sharpen them. I get excellent results from a 220 grit (ultra-coarse) and 600 grit (fine) DMT bench hones. CPM S35VN is easier to sharpen though you still need diamond hones.

Ill offer my observations with hopes they may provide something useful.

For me (both Spiderco) the S110V does take longer to sharpen but not unpossible on my Japaneese waterstones (Chosera) and I usually do not have enough time to go much higher than 800 grit. Id be a bit concerned for the stones if I had to work out a chip or other deformation but I never get those.

As for the S30V...... I have no problems going to 12K and it seems to be the sweet spot for me in edge retention vs effort to return it to exceedingly sharp refined edge with my current time constraints and equipment.

One thing I notice is missing when blade steels are discussed is the persons ability and equipment choices when considering steels. if you aren't willing to invest in the proper equipment that the steel requires or have the skills to work with super steels its going to be a potentially difficult road. S30V is a good place to stay for most people with average equipment and skill level. The majority of people will find it more than adequate and rewarding as well. The more difficult S110V may be too off putting to many.

S110V will also be more stainless than S30V.

Some people even go as far as saying S110V is one of the most stainless steels before you get to the stainfree steels like H1 and LC200N.

I’d probably pick S90V over both those options if it were possible.

I think that once you've gotten to the level of S30V and alike super steels, it's just picking a poison. They are both going to exceed at cutting for a very long time between sharpenings. If all were equal, then get the better steel, S110V, for edge retention. If you need that extra $50 or so, then get the S30V.

Both will take a while to sharpen, compared to non-super steels, though the 110 will be noticably longer according to all reports. Both require diamond stones. Neither of those things is a big deal, because even if you don't currently have the equipment, it's not expensive to get. Just go on Amazon and purchase a Lansky sharpening kit with diamonds stones for like $72. If you're already paying this much for a knife you should be able, or be smart enough to also provide yourself with the materials necessary to take care of your tools.

I like S30V so far. Don't feel a need to have S110V yet and I don't like taking forever sharpening a knife.

Edit: I just started sharpening so take that with a huge grain of salt. The pro below me says the reports we read about it are blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
S110v comes with “blurple” handles. Better to wear with bluejeans, not as “cool” as digicam. Also, s110v and s90v last a bit longer between sharpenings.
You can’t lose with either one imo.

Last edited:
SOGFLASH- Since we are both "Flash" members, here is my advise.

If you want to be cool, and talk knives to your friends, get the s110v. If you just want a good EDC knife that will do 95% of anything you want a knife to do, then get the s30v. If they are very close in price get the s110v, the sharpening is not that hard if you touch up the blade edge after a hard day's worth of use. It is when you don't touch it up and let it get really dull, and that will take a ton of cutting I can tell you, that sharpening for the s110v becomes an issue.

Better get, get all of them, and sell me the ones you don't want.

Between the two, I'd get the s110v. S30v is good, but I prefer the higher wear resistant steels.

But s30v isn't 440c by any means, it was at one time, a high end steel. But in the past 5 years, there have been some amazing steels becoming more popular.

The difficulty Sharpening s110v is overblown. As far as what's better depends more on the driver then the car. Undoubtedly the s110v has more horsepower but it's not made for gravel roads.

I agree with this. It seems that every time s110v is mentioned, there's an abundance of comments stating how much more difficult it is to sharpen. I don't find that to be true, and I don't think that's what should discourage someone from a purchase. However, I would argue if someone is looking for a knife to retain a fine/pushcutting edge, s110v probably isn't the steel for you. If you are looking for a knife that holds a good working/toothy edge for a long time, s110v may definitely be for you. With that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with choosing s30v or s110v. Diamond hones will make things much easier, and will produce a longer lasting edge that contains cut carbides in it.

Between the two, I'd get the s110v. S30v is good, but I prefer the higher wear resistant steels.

But s30v isn't 440c by any means, it was at one time, a high end steel. But in the past 5 years, there have been some amazing steels becoming more popular.

Now why did you have to go and bring 440c into this? Kidding aside, s30v has been around for a long, long time. It was once touted as “the stainless 3v.” Heat treat is way more important than the steel used today, and spyderco nails it nearly always IMO.

Now why did you have to go and bring 440c into this? Kidding aside, s30v has been around for a long, long time. It was once touted as “the stainless 3v.” Heat treat is way more important than the steel used today, and spyderco nails it nearly always IMO.
Like i posted in the Spyderco forum heat treating is part science part magic and part voodoo, and knife Mfg.s protect their heat treating process's.

Congrats, you’re gonna love it I think.
I ordered a spyderco MP2 Limited Edition with s35vn blade steel, i really like it and after reading others who own both the PM2 and the Manix2 i just had to also order it.

If you have read some of my posts you already know, i must have a bad habit maybe of buying a lot of knives.

Back