Spyderco Native 5 Vs. Benchmade Mini Griptillian 556 for Camping/backpacking

Narrowed it down to these two blades because of their roughly $100 price point, low weight, and s30v steel. Does one stand out, over the other, as a lightweight, yet tough, camping/backpacking knife? I considered the Bugout but want something a bit more durable in the handle. Correct me if I'm wrong or feel free to suggest something else completely. Just know I want to stay under $100 and get s30v quality steel. It will get used a lot as I spend over 30 nights in a tent/year.

Also, combo or plain edge? I always lean plain edge but would like to hear opinions. The serrated seem to be less expensive so maybe it'd be worth going that route for once?

These two are pretty much equivalent, it comes down to preference for one design over the other. Personally I prefer the N5 because the handle has better ergonomics for me. Even though I don't have large hands, I find the mini-Griptilian handle to be a little too short for me to get a full grip, I have to let my pinky rest on the very end of the handle. And the stronger bias toward closed means that it won't open in my pocket very easily if it catches on a keychain (been there, done that, more than once with different knives, and it always ends in bloodshed).

It used to be that Benchmades came with a thinner edge bevel, which I prefer. But recently it seems that BM has been going with thicker edge bevels than they used to. And the heat treat is probably pretty close between BM and Spyderco. I hear reports of BM being better than Spyderco about as often as I hear reports of Spyderco being better than BM, although the only true cutting test that I did comparing BM and Spyderco S30V knives gave the nod to Spyderco.

Since you mention them being the same price, you must be referring to the N5 Lightweight. Although it does not have liners, it is very robust. I have two of them now.

Unless you plan on cutting a lot of rope, a plain edge is superior to a partially serrated edge. It's pretty hard to whittle with a serrated edge.

Do you want a lockback with a choil, or an Axis-lock with no choil?

Really all it comes down to. Both are good knives.

Frn on the native is a much better product. Excellent grip and doesn’t flex. Spyder hole and lock back are good combo. I have bought way to many knives and my spyderco stretch is still in my pocket. Frn, Spyder hole and lockback is just what makes a good useful knife.

I don't prefer the choil and the axis-lock is just wonderful.
So for me the Mini Grip wins.

Axis-Lock can be dangerous for fingers in a closing action. on the other side I don't get the utility of finger choil on such small blades...
Hoewever, I would definatelly choose the Native over the Mini-Griptilian

I have both. Native-5 all day long. It actually has enough handle. Consider the 50/50 choil to be part of the handle itself. The mini-grip was improved for me with aftermarket scales from Allen Putnam, but it's still ergonomically sub-par. And I like the knife quite a lot.

Mini grip for me, I don't have the spyder in question but don't care for the first gen native I have

I don't have a mini-grip, but I do have a full size grip, a bugout, and a native 5.
Yes, you should get one. Sure the grip and 5 are going to be a bit tougher than the bugout, but probably only a matter of perception. If you don't like handle flex at all, go for the grip or the 5.
So far in this thread you can make every comment and swap the name of the knife and I've seen the argument made before.

If you just want light, get the bugout.

The reality to me is that they are both popular knives and for good reason. If you cannot get one in the hand to feel, at worst you can find a new home for it after a year.

As to plain or serrated, again, up to you, I find that for all camping tasks a combi edge is a bad compromise. I've never come across a situation where it was a benefit. Either I want full serrated (rope-work and similar) or full plain (all day errry-day) so take that for what its worth. I've spent a bit of time outside.
Get the one you want, and don't look back.

If I were still buying one-handed openers, the Mini-Grip and the bugout would both be very high on my list. Axis. I have bought both for my son, and he uses the hell out of them.
There is no Spyderco that appeals to me enough to want to spend a hundred bucks on it. I bought one for my boy, forget which, and he never uses it.

Back